Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
LED 9005 headlights to replace halogen?
mstraka

LED 9005 headlights to replace halogen?

Has anyone tried the ‘new’ LED 9005 headlight conversion from our halogen lights? It sounds promising: about 3000 lumens per 6000K bulb, low wattage and a claimed 10,000 hrs. bulb life for around $100. There is a heat sink on the end of the bulb which might extend too far, not allowing the end caps to screw back into the lamp housing after the conversion? This is relatively new and I would expect the price to fall as the technology becomes more widely used. Seems much simpler than attempting the Xenon conversion.
07-02-2015 03:49am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: LED 9005 headlights to replace halogen?

I don't know about them for Evoque as I have the adaptive bi-Xenons on mine but I have them coming as standard on my Defender 110 Adventure and because I seem to blow a dip beam lamp annually as soon as we get cold damp weather in my 1996 Defender 90 I have been advised that replacing the candles that LR supplied as standard back then with a set of LED units (not lamps but complete units) my headlight problems ( which could be down to old wiring) may well be solved. At some £490 a pair through a forum sponsor they are still jolly expensive units to buy they pay labour on fitting. I drove a Defender with LED headlights and they really made what my Defender has now seem not to light anything! They were even better than the Evoque's Xenon's.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
07-02-2015 10:57am
J77

LEDs are the next level, I'm surprised they ain't an option on new RR/LRs. They are available on Seats.

18MY Range Rover Velar R-Dynamic SE D240
09-02-2015 09:09pm
Kugaman1

I had the factory LEDs when I had the new shape Leon FR.
They are very bright. The only downside is that there is little light bleed.
I mean that the beam cut off is quite severe. Theres light, then nothing! Takes a bit of getting used to.

Ive been looking at getting LED bulbs for my evoque and even though they now come with good lumen levels, Im still not sure the aftermarket bulbs are good enough.

The Leon had several bulbs in each headlight unit to make up the beam so ai doubt these aftermarket units in an Evoque projector headlamp will be anywhere near as good.
10-02-2015 06:41pm