Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
SatNav voices
Clip

SatNav voices

Just a quick question, my nav doesn't say the street names, just tells me turn left, right etc. Is this all it does, or is there a setting somewhere that I've missed? Thanks folks.
20-05-2015 08:24am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Bill

RE: SatNav voices

Not sure if I should add this comment to this thread, but here goes. I have bought my MY15 Evoque from a Swiss dealer and had the SatNav pre-set with the English language. However, I have found that the voice pronounces local place names (Switzerland and France) phonetically and not the local pronunciation. This has led to me recently being told to follow signs to Annecy being pronounced as ANARCHY and Genève as GENEEV. Really bizarre.

Now with Dynamic TD4, 5 door, Kaikora Stone, manual, tech & comfort packs
21-05-2015 04:18pm
AndyFrance

(21-05-2015 04:18pm)Bill Wrote:  Not sure if I should add this comment to this thread, but here goes. I have bought my MY15 Evoque from a Swiss dealer and had the SatNav pre-set with the English language. However, I have found that the voice pronounces local place names (Switzerland and France) phonetically and not the local pronunciation. This has led to me recently being told to follow signs to Annecy being pronounced as ANARCHY and Genève as GENEEV. Really bizarre.

Same thing using the Apple Maps app GPS in English on my iPhone Bill. Makes me laugh, but totally useless if you rely on voice directions............It's a bummer being English in a world that speaks in other tongue's!
21-05-2015 04:31pm
PantherX

(20-05-2015 08:24am)Clip Wrote:  Just a quick question, my nav doesn't say the street names, just tells me turn left, right etc.

I've noticed mine doesn't do this either and it's particularly noticeable because of the upward inflection on the end of the sentences when its giving directions that make you think there is more coming but there isn't.

Arrived 21 May 2015: MY15 Si4 Dynamic 5dr, Santorini Black, Full Ebony interior, 19" Style 13, Adaptive Dynamics, Pano roof, Privacy glass, Park Assist, Dynamic Tech, Cold Climate & Convenience Packs
22-05-2015 01:43am
Clip

(22-05-2015 01:43am)PantherX Wrote:  I've noticed mine doesn't do this either and it's particularly noticeable because of the upward inflection on the end of the sentences when its giving directions that make you think there is more coming but there isn't.

Bugger! Hoping it was setting somewhere. Agree, a bit annoying for sure. Other than that though, I do prefer it to the MB Comand nav in my A250 Sport (although that does pronounce the street names).
(This post was last modified: 22-05-2015 08:12am by Clip.)
22-05-2015 08:11am