Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Are the updated power engines powerful enough?
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Are the updated power engines powerful enough?

JLR have launched 2 higher power output Ingenium engines for Evoque and Discovery Sport - a 240BHP SD4 diesel and a 290HP Si4 petrol. The diesels have already been in use in RRSport and Disco5 since February / March this year but don't seem to be attracting many buyers (maybe small capacity engine/big car syndrome - when people fail to see the power/ torque they produce). I have driven the 2.0ltr D5 and apart from a rather rattly cold start which soon smoothed and quietened when the engine warmed, the engine was actually very well suited to the car and the auto gear box. BUT we have all been asking for more power for Evoque almost since it was launched. Do people think that the new engines will satisfy the need for more power. One problem I have found is that on the Evoque and DS configurators the technical info is somewhat lacking - I have been unable to find any torque figures or the RPM they achieve their peak torque at quoted for the 2 new engines on the LR website. BTW there is no way JLR is going to fit a V6 in Evoque, the 3.0lt simply will not fit and the new Ingenium 6 cylinder engines are straight 6's as that is the easiest way to build the Ingenium family of engines - There is a 3 cylinder 1.5 Hybrid coming for 2018MY for RRS and D5!

As my PCP will be ending in March next year I am looking at potential replacements for my excellent RRS 3.0 SDv6 which has tree stump pulling out torque of 700Nm from it's 306BHP - I am considering a switch to a purely electric car now there are a few with batteries that have a range of >200 miles, but would also happily change to one of the higher powered Ingenium engines but would like to know what their torque output is (I believe the 240hp SD4 has in the region of 400Nm in D5 tune but would like to have this confirmed for Evqoue/D5 - I haven't found any torque values for the 290BHP Petrol)

Edit
OK after a quick Google search I found this on http://media.landrover.com/en-gb/news/20...and-evoque

SD4 240hp produces 500nm torque but no rpm given and
Si4 290hp produces 400nm again no rpm given

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 30-06-2017 09:24am by XFullFatTim.)
30-06-2017 09:14am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Pete

RE: Are the updated power engines powerful enough?

I'd say so. My Macan pulls 500 torques and has a few more horses than 240. I think that 240/500 would make for good motoring in an Evoque or Disco sport and get over than horrid 'struggling to keep up' feeling that I never really liked with my old SD4. I think it's down to a largely arbitrary choice between petrol and diesel.

I think it would return to that 'effortless' motion that I enjoyed in my old 4ltr FFRR.

I'm not really engaged with EV cars yet - I don't think they're cheap, light, or efficient enough for the mass market.

Porsche Macan
30-06-2017 09:43am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

I never found either of my 2.2 SD4's lacking for get up and go, especially in S with Dynamic modes, but then my RRS SDv6 is just brilliant with 700 torques and is so smooth and quiet that I really have to be careful to watch my speed........

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
30-06-2017 11:31am
Pete

My Evoque wasn't a Dynamic. Even in Sport mode, it moved like a somewhat reluctant donkey and I had to plan overtakes quite far ahead...

Could just be me though.

Porsche Macan
30-06-2017 11:49am