Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Anyone upgraded to the new shape Evoque
fam1x

Anyone upgraded to the new shape Evoque

My car has serviced me well for the few years and now I need to change it. I like the new shape however I'm not sure of the gear stick. I prefer the one I have on my evoque.

I was wondering what others think of the change in the gear stick, and car if anyone has upgrade would like to hear their comments.

Thanks
Faruq

Pure SD4 Auto Black Tech pack, Pano roof, Powered tailgate, Dim rear view, Carpet mats & edging, Parking Assist Aid - Rear camera, Folding mirrors, Front Fogs, Auto Light, Rain sensor, Adaptive Xenons, Heated SW, Keyless entry and Privacy Glass arrived 13 Jan 12 Smile
05-06-2019 04:17pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: Anyone upgraded to the new shape Evoque

Quite a few people found the rotary shifter awkward (not me I liked it) and there were issues with them not rising up however when I sent my 2nd RRE back to JLR in disgust I went back to an RRS and found the shifter on that was even better for being a stick type. My 2019 MY Mini Countryman has a really ancient style of auto shifter, just like the one I had the Freelander 1 I had way back in 2002, complete with the steptronic sequential shift mode when you move the stick over to the left into would normally be Sport mode today. S in the Mini is a switch on the consol instead - BMW isn’t that advanced with some of their systems!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
08-06-2019 07:02pm
benzina

Mine is a 2011, and while at first i remember not quite liking the rotary dial shifter, i got used to it really quickly, and from then on i've really liked it.
I have however always like the aesthetic appeal from the start. It just looks more modern, and in keeping with the Evoques concept-like ultra modern appeal.

Interestingly, now that the designers have aligned the 2020 version to become more like Range Rovers latest most modern model the Velar (which has the rotary dial shifter), the 2020 Evoque has gone backwards, and followed the older designed RR Sport with a conventional stick.

I think you will find the new 2020 Evoque to be just a bit better in every way regarding quality interior materials, ride, quietness, etc etc, but to my mind, the interior and exterior design has become a little less bold and different in comparison to the original....and for that, i prefer the original for pure aesthetic design appeal, boldness, and different to the mainstream.

2012 Dynamic SD4 Auto 5-Door / Indus / Black Roof / Vortex / AD / Style 7 Alloys / Panoramic Roof / Rear Vents / BSM / TPMS / Sat Nav
(This post was last modified: 09-06-2019 03:09am by benzina.)
09-06-2019 03:08am
torchredfrc

I had a 2012 and have recently updated to a 2020. Personally I think the dial shifter would have worked better with the aesthetics of the 2020. The shift stick gets in the way of the volume knob and a round, low profile, rotary shifter would have been an excellent compliment to the digital dash (the Velar has the best of both worlds here in my opinion).

2020 Evoque R-Dynamic P300 HSE
Corris Grey / Black contrast roof
Ebony / Garnet interior

2012 Dynamic Evoque (sold)
Orkney Grey w/ Black contrast roof
Ebony / Pimento interior
15-07-2019 05:55am
Pastmaster

I've just bought one. Got used to the new stick quickly after a couple of ??? moments. Took me a little while to work out how to put it in park, and one panic when I couldn't find reverse until I realised I'd pushed the stick across into "S". I think I prefer it to the rotary, but it's not a big deal. Annoying is that it doesn't turn off the engine when you unbuckle your seatbelt like the old one did.
25-08-2019 12:42pm
Doody

(25-08-2019 12:42pm)Pastmaster Wrote:  Annoying is that it doesn't turn off the engine when you unbuckle your seatbelt like the old one did.

Huh? Our cars do this?!?!?!?

Doody

2012 Prestige Premium
25-08-2019 02:48pm
Pastmaster

(25-08-2019 02:48pm)Doody Wrote:  Huh? Our cars do this?!?!?!?

Doody
The DS does. Only if stop-start has kicked in first. Maybe the Evoque doesn't?

2019 D180 S Auto in white (ex-demonstrator). My eighth LR.
25-08-2019 03:38pm
Alpenostrand

When s/s has kicked in the Evoque does the same as the DS, it's a safety feature that you do not park the car with the engine on. The s/s system could start the engine again automatically when e.g. the climate control needs more power.

I did test drive the New Evoque and didn't like the display for all the climate control functions. There is no haptic feedback, you always have to look where you touch. Same for the steering wheel buttons. The now back to old fashion shifter was not really a problem for me, not as stylish as before, but similar to my other car (BMW).

2017 HSE Dynamic Si4, Firenze red w/ roof Santorini black, lots of stuff to play with
(This post was last modified: 25-08-2019 07:47pm by Alpenostrand.)
25-08-2019 07:43pm
Pastmaster

(25-08-2019 07:43pm)Alpenostrand Wrote:  When s/s has kicked in the Evoque does the same as the DS, it's a safety feature that you do not park the car with the engine on. The s/s system could start the engine again automatically when e.g. the climate control needs more power.
I think the new one does have a similar feature, but it only clicks in when you get out and shut the door (still getting to grips with all this).
Apart from the gearstick, it's worth stating that this is a very different car to the "old" Evoque. I drove a few of the originals and disliked them intensely - they seemed very cramped, and I'm not that big! This car drives basically like an updated version of the DS, albeit without the rear seats (which I never used) and with a bit less boot space. There may be a bit less legroom in the back, but I don't sit in the back so I don't care. I'm still trying to work out the satnav, which seems to be less user-friendly, but overall it's a good upgrade on my 2016 DS, which was going beautifully at 50000 miles but beginning to date a bit. And extended warranty doesn't cover the dpf, which was a bit of a nagging worry. Whether it's worth the extra £20000 after trade-in is another matter.

2019 D180 S Auto in white (ex-demonstrator). My eighth LR.
25-08-2019 08:03pm