Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
Any Comments from Evoque Owners on Rear Camera or Recommendations for Options?
VJD

Any Comments from Evoque Owners on Rear Camera or Recommendations for Options?

[/color]Dealer just informed me that Monday is the last day to change any of my options, and I am tempted to throw in a few last minute upgrades, including a rear camera. Can anyone who has a rear camera comment on how good it is? Any other recommendations for options from the lucky ones whose Evoques have arrived? The auto-dimming rearview mirror also tempts...

I'll have an agonizing weekend deciding whether to keep or ditch my contrast roof....! Rolling Eyes

ON ORDER: Dynamic 5 door Sd4 manual, Colima Lime, panoramic roof, Indus Silver contrast roof (?), sat nav, winter pack
30-09-2011 08:14am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
kevoque

RE: Any Comments from Evoque Owners on Rear Camera or Recommendations for Options?

Black roof looks good with the lime !!rather than the silver as the pan roof flows into the black better And all the other black parts on it rather than introducing another colour !! And privacy glass with that combo looks amazing
Just my opinion though
Kev
(This post was last modified: 30-09-2011 08:37am by kevoque.)
30-09-2011 08:34am
ajmooseman

RE: Any Comments from Evoque Owners on Rear Camera or Recommendations for Options?

Doesn't dynamic come with reversing camera? Mine better bloody do! Just checked spec and yes it does...pheeewww.

if you mean the surround camera system, cant say I was that impressed at Evoque unleashed event, Tim has if fitted though.
I feel pano roof is a must, just so your not one of the only one's without it and for resale value, I say ditch the contrast roof if you keep the pano, plenty options to have it wrapped as mentioned in other posts. I changed mine to wheel style 7 at the last chance.
30-09-2011 08:42am
VJD

My understanding was that my Dynamic comes with rear park assist in the form of beeps, but that the camera was extra. Given that I ordered in March, my memory is dim, and at the time there was not as much information available about what came with each model, I may be wrong though...I'll have to check with the dealer... would be great if it were already included!
30-09-2011 09:07am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

The car comes with a reversing cam as standard. Surround cam is the icing on the cake but I think also there are better things to spend your money on. There is only one application that I can see somebody will find it useful for in an urban situation and that is to prevent scuffed alloys, BUT it takes so many steps through the menus to get to the kerb view that you soon tire of using it.
Verdict - nice toy but the car is just as good without it and it's a waste of money if you don't intend to take your car off-road (even then it is of limited use as you tend to use your eyes rather than a camera)

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
30-09-2011 09:09am
kevoque

Camera is standard in dynamics but if you want you can opt for the additional cameras at cost
Kev
30-09-2011 09:11am
ant

I've been out this morning using my cameras (surround camera) and I've found it really good. I've also found that I can have the rear camera on while moving forward - sort of an extra rear view, which I didn't think was possible. The front wing cameras are useful for coming out of tight corners, where buildings or hedges obstruct your view, but as Tim says, they take time to set up. I believe there are 2 shortcut keys that can be set, so one of those could be for cameras - I need to investigate more.
I also used Park Assist this morning to get into a space that I would have 2nd thoughts about doing manually. It really took some courage as I thought the car was turning too close to the one in front, but it did it just fine.
All in all impressed with my options so far.Very Happy
ANT

Prestige, 5 dr, SD4 Auto, Firenze, Lux, Ambience, Adaptive Dynamics, (+other options).
Current cars: Evoque: 1972 Stag: 2008 C4 Grand Picasso x 2: 2004 Defender 110: LDV flatbed (for moving the Stag)
Gone: Aston Martin DB9Crying, RRS, FFRR x 5, Classic Minis x loads, 1987 Defender 110.
(This post was last modified: 30-09-2011 10:05am by ant.)
30-09-2011 10:04am
Rootsboy

This is all interesting news about the surround cameras, i splashed out and added it to my order.
mainly due to the fact that that in the towns and under ground parking areas where i live, the spaces are all really small. there are so many tiny streets with concrete bollards that line the edges, and out of town when you get on the county roads large you come across large boulders and deep verges.
for all these reasons it seemed like surround cameras would be handy, but quick access would be essential. so if there is a way of setting up short cuts, then that would be the way to go.

SD4 Prestige 5 Door Manual. Fuji White. 20" Style 6 Wheels. Vibe-Ebony Interior and Header. Panoramic Roof. AD. Privacy and Solar Attenuating Glass. Surround Camera, Heated Seats. Pollution Sensor. Rear Vents. 825W Sound and a Spare Wheel
30-09-2011 11:35am
bogstomper

The car I test drove for a few hours had a reversing cam (a pretty standard Dynamic Si4 Coupe) - it was quite a wet day and when I went to reverse into a space, the camera was covered in water droplets, rendering it reasonably useless (unless you get out a wipe it). I still think it's a good thing to have, but imagine during winter it spends quite a bit of time covered in road grime...
30-09-2011 05:06pm
Evoqess

I think it's fascinating that truck drivers can reverse their rigs just by using their mirrors. Sadly, we are not truck drivers and the Evoque really benefits from this addition. Rear sensors are useful but being able to see was something I think essential. Unless those darn rain drops get in the way.

Evoque fan who used to drive Shocked a Pure, Fuji, 19" style 4 alloys, heated everything, rear cam, power tailgate, pan roof, privacy glass etc
30-09-2011 05:26pm