Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Another biased What Car? Group test
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Another biased What Car? Group test

I hadn't got to the end of the first paragraph praising the virtues of the new BMW (I really now believe that What Car? Magazine is no longer owned by Haymarket but by BMW as every BMW - no matter how crap- wins every road test). There is one thing What Car? Always fails to mention when group testing any Land Rover against its rivals - the LR CAN actually go off-road straight out of the showroom, unlike 99.9% of the rivals!
Anyway for a totally biased road test of the 2.0lt TD4 180 SE against the new BMW X1 and Audi Q3 you can read it here
https://www.whatcar.com/news/bmw-x1-vs-a...e=20170713

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
14-07-2017 10:30am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
EarlofEltham

RE: Another biased What Car? Group test

Motoring journalists are over critical. I've never had any complaints about the ride in my Evoque and I don't find it choppy at all.
It's still the best looking in its class, inside and out. That Audi interior is pox and I'm not a fan of the pop up screens.
I guess I'm just biased towards the Evoque.
18-07-2017 06:55am
benzina

I feel the same....the ride in my Evoque with Adaptive Dynamics is sensational, and i've driven the Q3, and their just plain wrong. The Evoque gives a big car ride for a small footprint.
Their example showed they had Adaptive Dynamics too (i could tell by the interior pic showing all the symbols), and they didn't even mention this.
The Evoque to my eyes had seen off every other car in the looks department too, even the new just released e-pace, which attempts to get close using the same proportions.

On a side note, its good to see the Evoque designer setting the record straight about VB....
Range Rover Evoque Designer Slams Victoria Beckham
see this link here....
https://www.motor1.com/news/173852/evoqu...i-beckham/

2012 Dynamic SD4 Auto 5-Door / Indus / Black Roof / Vortex / AD / Style 7 Alloys / Panoramic Roof / Rear Vents / BSM / TPMS / Sat Nav
(This post was last modified: 18-07-2017 07:21am by benzina.)
18-07-2017 07:08am
XFullFatTim

Unfortunately VB's "I designed it" remark tarred the rest of the Evoque range and that one comment put a lot of people off the car purely because of her association with one special edition. More fool JLR for getting her onboard in the first place, however she was brought onboard to make the car appeal to the intended market.......... younger women. How wrong were the marketing men?

Both she and her husband are supposed to be Land Rover Ambassadors (i.e. They get to run around in a free car from LR's press office) yet you only see them in Audi's and Mercs when their photos appear in the press/ media

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
18-07-2017 09:47am
syl

Isn't that rather an old group test, rather than something new?

MY17 RR Evoque TD4 Autobiography
MY17 RRS SDV6 Autobiography
18-07-2017 10:37am
benzina

And i would have thought "Top Gear" would have known better too....when James May road tested the Evoque, he kept thanking Victoria Beckham for everything good about the Evoque, including the great ride...."nice work Miss's Beckham".
With there strong world wide viewing ratings, this bull crap really didn't help.

2012 Dynamic SD4 Auto 5-Door / Indus / Black Roof / Vortex / AD / Style 7 Alloys / Panoramic Roof / Rear Vents / BSM / TPMS / Sat Nav
(This post was last modified: 18-07-2017 11:14am by benzina.)
18-07-2017 11:05am
XFullFatTim

If was done this year - January 2017, it appeared on the What Car? Website quite recently.

18-07-2017 02:43pm
Pete

All of the photos have 15/65 plated cars. Even if the review is for new cars, it seems a bit poor to show photos of older cars.

Not that it really matters, the 2nd generation X1 started production in 2015.

Porsche Macan
19-07-2017 07:08am
druand

BMW:
We never see anything about the amount of petrol engine failures at fairly low mileage. 3 years +
I was given a BMW X3 2.0D Auto for a whole day test drive in 2010 when due to change my 2008 FL2. In returned it
in less than an hour. No further interest, very poor ride quality. Rear seat passenger was NOT impressed and front not much better.
Engine was quieter.
Now driving 2017 Evoque after 4 FL2. The few small technical problems were made worse by dealers lack of product knowledge and ability. (now greatly improved)
19-07-2017 02:55pm