Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
Alphabetical USB Disk/Stick
PhilSkill

Alphabetical USB Disk/Stick

Having been investigating how the USB interface works, and written some software to modify dates and times on files, it eventually turns out the FAT32 file system is read in order of how the files are added to the disk which is a factor of FAT32.

I have found a useful utility to process your Disk or Stick to put the directories in order so the Evoque shows everything in Alphabetical order.

http://www.fenux.net/story/fatsorteroneohfour

Direct download link
http://www.fenux.net/original/FatSorter-1.0.4.zip

You have to run it on the disk every time you change it's contents though.

I have no affiliation, it's offered as freeware and you use this at your own risk!

It looks as though the Evoque catalogs the disk and can take about 5 minutes to process 50 albums on a hard disk. But once cataloged it seems to have much faster access until you change something in the contents of the disk. Not fully proven this yet but is how it appears at the moment.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
(This post was last modified: 03-01-2012 11:53pm by PhilSkill.)
03-01-2012 08:59pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
cjfp

RE: Alphabetical USB Disk/Stick

PhilSkill - have yet to try this but u may have become my favourite person in the world!

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
03-01-2012 09:22pm
PhilSkill

My pleasure, it had been driving me mad too!

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
03-01-2012 10:05pm
cjfp

I have a similar issue with my Internet Radio that used to access the music files on my PC in alpha but a few months ago went gaga - could this be something similar and would this util work on a folder on my pc?
Have taken the plunge and run it on my pc folder ..... only to them find that my Internet Radio have decided to become an 'ex' internet radio!

I will now run on my usb stick and try in the Evoque

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
(This post was last modified: 03-01-2012 10:20pm by cjfp.)
03-01-2012 10:09pm
PhilSkill

It may do, and it wont do much harm to data only directories (will do all sub directories from starting location), but I doubt your PC is FAT32 so shouldn't need it.

Don't run this utility on the root of your C: drive though!!!

I wrote a utility to set the created dates to incrementing time in alphabetical order for all sub-directories, that maybe what you need. Worth trying the above utility first as mine is very still crude! Best is to try and work out what property it is using to order the list.

03-01-2012 10:32pm
cjfp

Well it worked on my usb stick - many thanks.

Just hope I haven't blown up my PC !

03-01-2012 11:04pm
PhilSkill

If anyone else tries it please report back how you get on. It certainly does the job.

03-01-2012 11:57pm
colski

Good man
19-01-2012 01:45am
defender_uk

been looking for something ike this....will try....system is crackers as it is....Sad

Defender_uk

Evoque Prestige Lux, OG, maual, style 4 wheels

comes to live with Defender 90 TDCi 07
19-01-2012 09:22am
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
masmullin

(03-01-2012 08:59pm)PhilSkill Wrote:  Having been investigating how the USB interface works, and written some software to modify dates and times on files, it eventually turns out the FAT32 file system is read in order of how the files are added to the disk which is a factor of FAT32.

I have found a useful utility to process your Disk or Stick to put the directories in order so the Evoque shows everything in Alphabetical order.

http://www.fenux.net/story/fatsorteroneohfour

Direct download link
http://www.fenux.net/original/FatSorter-1.0.4.zip

You have to run it on the disk every time you change it's contents though.

I have no affiliation, it's offered as freeware and you use this at your own risk!

It looks as though the Evoque catalogs the disk and can take about 5 minutes to process 50 albums on a hard disk. But once cataloged it seems to have much faster access until you change something in the contents of the disk. Not fully proven this yet but is how it appears at the moment.

Thank you very much for posting this PhilSkill
02-03-2012 05:59pm