Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Alloy Wheel INTERNAL Corrosion
X4

Alloy Wheel INTERNAL Corrosion

Hi,

Has anyone experienced internal corrosion on their alloys? I have black wheels fitted as part of the black package on my 2 year old dynamic. The tyres have never been off the car until recently when I had what I thought was a slow puncture. My local tyre dealer found the problem was corrosion on the inner edge of the wheel (opposite side to the spokes) where the edge of the tyre seals to the rim. The outside edge was fine but it was protected by the black paint. He cleaned up the corrosion and applied some sealant and all was good. One month later the same thing happened with one of the other wheels so I took it to the tyre dealer and lo and behold it was the same problem. The car was in for a service the following week and I got them to check the remaining two wheels which they did and found corrosion on both. Photographs were taken and a report prepared for LR and the car booked in for a warranty replacement of all four wheels. That was 4 weeks ago and the car is due to go in this Wednesday for the wheels to be fitted. So I talked to the dealership today to check everything was set up and ready only to be told that LR do not believe this is a warranty issue - WHAT! The dealership are behind me and are giving me a loan car while they work on LR to convince them it is indeed a warranty problem. How can it not[/b] be a warranty problem when the tyres have never been off the car? Very disappointed in LR's response but am hopeful the dealership will sort it for me![b]

MY15 Dynamic, Fuji White, Black Design Pack, Pano Roof, Power Tailgate, Ebony Leather, Ebony Headlining, Strata Black Trim, Privacy Glass, Adaptive Headlights, F & R Mudflaps, Silver Selector, Pedal Footrest
17-10-2016 04:09pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: Alloy Wheel INTERNAL Corrosion

Unfortunately Land Rover's attitude to unusual warranty claims is to routinely dismiss them, almost in the attitude that the customer is always wrong .................... you have to be very persistent and even threaten them with going to the press and bad publicity in say What Car? or Top Gear magazines is much more expensive to them than replacing 4 wheels.............. it tends to put potential buyers off buying cars when problems get highlighted in What Car magazine and it is amazing how after lots of brick walls be banged against as soon as a complainant goes to What Car? magazine suddenly car manufacturers have no problem curing an issue and fix the issue even with ex gartia payments for the "poor treatment" that they should never have received in the first place.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
17-10-2016 04:36pm
X4

(17-10-2016 04:36pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Unfortunately Land Rover's attitude to unusual warranty claims is to routinely dismiss them, almost in the attitude that the customer is always wrong .................... you have to be very persistent and even threaten them with going to the press and bad publicity in say What Car? or Top Gear magazines is much more expensive to them than replacing 4 wheels.............. it tends to put potential buyers off buying cars when problems get highlighted in What Car magazine and it is amazing how after lots of brick walls be banged against as soon as a complainant goes to What Car? magazine suddenly car manufacturers have no problem curing an issue and fix the issue even with ex gartia payments for the "poor treatment" that they should never have received in the first place.

Thanks Tim - sound advice which hopefully I won't need !

MY15 Dynamic, Fuji White, Black Design Pack, Pano Roof, Power Tailgate, Ebony Leather, Ebony Headlining, Strata Black Trim, Privacy Glass, Adaptive Headlights, F & R Mudflaps, Silver Selector, Pedal Footrest
17-10-2016 04:57pm
mighTTy-RRE

I commented about corrosion on the spokes on the rear wheels on my (then) 35 month old Evoque expecting at best a touch up (and probably a dismissal) only to be informed JLR had been sent photos and they had agreed to replace them FOC.
17-10-2016 06:00pm
RogB

are the wheels not covered by the 6(?) year corrosion warranty the same as the bodywork ??

2012 Evoque Pure 5 door - Santorini Black, 20'' style 6 wheels, privacy, fogs, (accident damaged wreck direct from LR approved :rollSmile
2011 Evoque Prestige 3 door - Indus Silver, gloss black 19'' style 5 wheels, privacy, partial black pack.

and a few Freelander 2 over the yearsLaughing
18-10-2016 12:14pm
X4

(17-10-2016 06:00pm)mighTTy-RRE Wrote:  I commented about corrosion on the spokes on the rear wheels on my (then) 35 month old Evoque expecting at best a touch up (and probably a dismissal) only to be informed JLR had been sent photos and they had agreed to replace them FOC.

Good to know hopefully they'll treat my case the same although I think they've already been sent the photos I'll find out tomorrow.

(18-10-2016 12:14pm)RogB Wrote:  are the wheels not covered by the 6(?) year corrosion warranty the same as the bodywork ??

Definitely worth asking !
Cheers!

(This post was last modified: 18-10-2016 01:36pm by X4.)
18-10-2016 01:35pm
X4

Good news - the dealer came through for me! I have to admit from the time I dropped the car off to have the "warranty check" I was assured by the rep at the dealers that I would be getting my car back with a new set of wheels on it. True to her word I now have a shiny new set of wheels thanks to the workshop supervisor who did the "negotiating" with Land Rover Very HappyVery HappyVery HappyVery Happy

24-10-2016 06:42pm
RogB

that's great news X4, are they a complete brand new set or have they refurbed your old ones ?

2012 Evoque Pure 5 door - Santorini Black, 20'' style 6 wheels, privacy, fogs, (accident damaged wreck direct from LR approved :rollSmile
2011 Evoque Prestige 3 door - Indus Silver, gloss black 19'' style 5 wheels, privacy, partial black pack.

and a few Freelander 2 over the yearsLaughing
25-10-2016 10:55am
Willo

(17-10-2016 04:09pm)X4 Wrote:  Hi,

Has anyone experienced internal corrosion on their alloys? I have black wheels fitted as part of the black package on my 2 year old dynamic. The tyres have never been off the car until recently when I had what I thought was a slow puncture. My local tyre dealer found the problem was corrosion on the inner edge of the wheel (opposite side to the spokes) where the edge of the tyre seals to the rim. The outside edge was fine but it was protected by the black paint. He cleaned up the corrosion and applied some sealant and all was good. One month later the same thing happened with one of the other wheels so I took it to the tyre dealer and lo and behold it was the same problem. The car was in for a service the following week and I got them to check the remaining two wheels which they did and found corrosion on both. Photographs were taken and a report prepared for LR and the car booked in for a warranty replacement of all four wheels. That was 4 weeks ago and the car is due to go in this Wednesday for the wheels to be fitted. So I talked to the dealership today to check everything was set up and ready only to be told that LR do not believe this is a warranty issue - WHAT! The dealership are behind me and are giving me a loan car while they work on LR to convince them it is indeed a warranty problem. How can it not[/b] be a warranty problem when the tyres have never been off the car? Very disappointed in LR's response but am hopeful the dealership will sort it for me![b]

Hi, I have exactly the same problem as you have described, like you they are the 9 spoke black alloys from the black pack. I too asked a local tyre fitter to fix what I thought was a slow puncture to be told of corrosion inside the alloy on the rim. The fitter rubbed down the corrosion and this worked for a couple of months but it has come back and another alloy is starting to lose pressure now as well.

I have the car booked into the dealer next week and hopefully they can resolve it quickly especially as I can't go long distances at the moment for fear of getting stranded somewhere with a couple of deflated tyres.

My dealer says they have never come across this problem before, so if you could share which dealership sorted this for you it help my cause should L.R fail to recognise the problem and I can show the dealer this thread?

Thanks in advance.
08-11-2016 08:47pm