Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
All Threads about Delays merged into one
mark_n

RE: How long is too long?

Perhaps Victoria Beckham could be drafted in to fine tune the production process. She would hardly do a worse job than the muppets currently in charge.

It's chaotic, it's a mess. 500 cars a day capacity and the site log-jammed with cars which cannot be finished because of missing parts. They stand out in the open, exposed to the elements waiting for temporary contract workers who likely know little and care less to install the parts in large white marquees erected at three locations around the site.

When I visited, on 20th Sept, there were so many half-finished cars, they were having to use the employee car parks to store them and the employees park outside the site on the pavements.

For all I know, they may be taking part finished cars off site (the ones with wheels anyway) and storing them until the parts become available.

It's a total shambles and what suffers is delivery times and potentially product quality.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
12-10-2011 07:34am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mywillia

Another Delay?

My dealer called yesterday to confirm that I am in the December Order call for a late Dec Build with early Jan Delivery.

I asked him to keep me posted as to last dates for changes etc as I was still undecided as to the Coupe or the 5 door. He said that a change to the 5 door will put my order out by a couple of months as they have been told there are supply issues on the doors of the 5 door. He also said that they had not been taking orders for 5 doors because of the problems and under instruction from LR. I can't imagine it's the metal so can only guess it's the door card and trim.

Is this hogwash or is there an issue. Anybody been told they can't order a 5 door or that their order has been delayed?

Delivered:-
Firenze Red Dynamic SD4 Coupe Manual with Lux pack
Verve Leather
20" Shadow Chrome Alloys
Privacy Glass
Heated Steering Wheel
12-10-2011 09:59am
mark_n

RE: Another Delay?

Well, lots of us are facing delays and if there are problems with the doors, it could be anything associated with them, impossible to know. How an order taken at a dealer is translated into an production slot seems to be more down to random guesswork. What's clear is that you should take any build date you get with a sizeable pinch of salt. I'm currently on my fifth.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
12-10-2011 10:49am
ED209

This is starting to p me off a bit. Not got a confirmed build for mine yet but i am led to believe it will be december. However if it keeps going back and back i forsee cancellation and a discounted q5 being purchased from a car supermarket, or maybe even an x3.

I was and still am really looking forward to the evoque but they seem beset by one prob after another.
12-10-2011 11:08am
GibEvoque

This could be to do with the accident last month whereby a die used for the pressing of the doors was involved. This is of course speculation, but I would not be surprised if such an incident has an impact.

2012 RRE TD4 Auto Dynamic, Fuji white, Shadow Chrome alloys, Panoramic contrast roof
1983 Mk1 Golf Cabriolet 1.8 Gli - Plaything
2009 Fiat Bravo 1.4 T-jet Dyamic - Gone
1994 306 XSi - Long Gone
1985 Mk2 1.3 Golf CL - First LoveWink
12-10-2011 11:13am
xxxx5

First it is pan roof, then Xenons, now doors. Not very good at all.
My dealer told me that they were not taking any further orders until May next year because they cant get cars or fulfill the current orders they have.

Well dont JLR PR team, not so good logistics and manufacturing teams.

Now Sold: 5dr Pure SD4 Man / Fuji White / Pano Roof / Tech Park / Style 6 Alloys / Privacy Glass / Xenons / Black H'lining / Power Fold Door Mirrors / Power Tailgate / Carpet Mats / Front Fogs.
12-10-2011 11:53am
Pedalpower

Oh dear, dont like the sound of this one bit !, i am in the same postion with a december build for jan delivery, but as of yet have not been advised of door problems. I am going for a 5 door though !.
12-10-2011 04:26pm
bwaadass

RE: How long is too long?

My dealer informed me last week that my Evoque (Prestige) has been delayed by 6 weeks. It was originally due to enter build at end-Sep, and now it's planned to enter mid-Nov. So I'm expecting it on my driveway by end-Nov.

The delay is rather annoying, and I find myself being tempted by used car prices (BMW 5-series Touring in particular!). However I'm holding on for now.

I must say that the delay wasn't particularly unexpected, as having worked in the industry for several years I can well guess at some of the issues they are facing:

You've 6000+ parts on the car. Many of them are carryover, but some will be brand new bespoke parts for the Evoque. As such, suppliers of the new parts will only have been mass-producing for a few weeks (at the most). Inevitably quality/production issues almost always develop during the ramp-up to full production. These can range from the simple (e.g. supplier needs more staff) to the complex (e.g. high QA rejection rates due to non-uniform part behaviour during the bonding process). The more complex the part, the more likely these issues are to occur.

The difficulty for RR is that the suppliers are almost certainly not hitting their weekly target delivery volumes. This unknown, multiplied across several dozen 'problem' parts and coupled with the level of options on the car, makes accurately planning all of our build dates very hard.

RR have to give some feedback to customers, but can't keep publicising changes in estimated delivery dates. What RR certainly can't do is give any specific details of the problems, as this can create a lot of bad feeling within their supplier chain.

Rest assured, this is in nobodies best interest so a lot of people will be working very hard to solve the issues!
12-10-2011 04:52pm
gw76

No contact from dealer, so emailed enquiry having a build date of 7th October. Advised that delay ( for 5D Si4 Dynamic) that there wil be a 6 WEEK BUILD DATE delay and that confirmation of new delivery will be made by LR on wednesday. Very disappointed given that I have had to make the enquiries.
(This post was last modified: 12-10-2011 06:46pm by gw76.)
12-10-2011 06:34pm
Daigriff

Looks like everyone's having a 5 to 6 week delay. In a perverse way it makes me feel better as At first I thought it was just a couple of us who had delays. Unjust worry that the build will be put back further.

Ironically it's this week last year I paid my depoIt!!!!!!

Arrived 16th December 2011: 5 door Prestige SD4 auto in Barolo black with ambience interior, pano roof, privacy and 20" style 6 alloys.Very Happy
12-10-2011 06:57pm