Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Aftermarket Window Tint
memota

Aftermarket Window Tint

I've never had aftermarket window tint - is it any good?

Does it scratch / bubble / react badly to whatever they use at the car wash?

Do they need to take your car apart to put it in (trims)? If they do is that not the big deal it sounds like to me?

Thinking of foregoing privacy and getting a lighter tint but on all side windows.

Whatcha reckon?
25-11-2011 05:18am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
benzina

RE: Aftermarket Window Tint

I have also given this much thought,and was considering it, till i came to the decision to leave it well enough alone.

My reasons...

(1) I prefer the look of a car without AMWT (after-market-window-tinting),particularly in this case with the Evoque, which has a classy Green Tint, and a great looking interior. The glass is a high quality and noticably GREEN tint, like the larger RR's use and the glass you see used at airports,high quality modern homes etc, so it should be good against heat and UV rays.
(2) Australian delivered Evoques already have the Solar Attenuated glass option as standard.
(3) They have to take interior door panels off to do a proper AMWT. (Definately don't like this aspect of it at all,as this is a new car fresh from the factory,and the thought of local hands taking things apart, just make me feel a bit sick).
(4) I often think, and ask the question, if this AMWT film is so good, why don't car manufacturers offer it as a factory option so the job gets done at the factory, and theirfor, their cars are not taken apart by outsiders. Yes we see the very dark rear privacy glass offered (see Evoque), but not the lighter normal standard type,that would be suitable for all windows,and light enough to be legal everywhere.
They know it goes on all over the world,so why don't they offer it? No manufacture offers it, so makes me think it could all be a bit of bullshit, other then for allround privacy purposes,and people who like the look of it.

2012 Dynamic SD4 Auto 5-Door / Indus / Black Roof / Vortex / AD / Style 7 Alloys / Panoramic Roof / Rear Vents / BSM / TPMS / Sat Nav
(This post was last modified: 25-11-2011 02:14pm by benzina.)
25-11-2011 06:52am
pondscum

Like all things you get what you pay for. Go to a reputable tinter that offers a lifetime transferable warranty on the work, choose a good quality tint film and you won't go wrong. On my last car I got 3m carbon colour stable tint and it looks perfect:

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en...utomotive/

The good quality carbon based tint comes in 20% (darker - may not be 'legal') to 35% tint and is very black (not purple), non-metallic (doesn't interfere with gps / mobile phones etc.) and comes with a lifetime warranty against delaminating, bubbles etc.. It looks as good as privacy glass.

Never buy tinting through the dealer. They outsource to a local tinter to do it anyway and charge you a premium for the trouble.
25-11-2011 07:01am
3VOQU3

If you go to a quality tint place you will get an amazing job.. I have always had my tint done by what i believe to be the best place in Perth

Here's a link to their photo gallery
http://www.tkotinting.com/gallery/misc.shtml

They also have a full step by step photo description of how its done..

These guys do the latest Ferrari's, Porsche, Range Rovers, Bentley's etc.. Check out their gallery.. Clearly they look after the cars extremly well..

Tint makes the car significantly darker.. but also keeps the car significantly cooler.. (something my dogs can atest)

It also keeps wannabe theives from being able to see what you have in the car for them to steal..

Manufacturers dont offer it simply because their are 100's of different types of tints, and even state's within the same country have different legalities to the percentages allowed. It would be a legal nightmare trying to keep on top of it all..

As for scratching, bubbling, reacting to whatever they use at the car wash, the tint is on the inside of the windows, so washing the car doesnt effect it.. You can clean it easily with just water or most car window cleaners are fine to use ( ensure they are ammonia free) and state safe for window tinting on them if they are.

Hope this helps clarify
25-11-2011 08:51am
vcruiser

if done properly with good film, there should be no problem.
I have every car i drive tinted because i have a privacy issue. Don't like people looking to see what's inside my car.
also just looks good! (imo)

Evoque Dynamic Coupe | Black on Black | Fully Loaded
25-11-2011 01:55pm
fam1x

A lot of the film like 3M come with life time warranty, I had it installed on my golf and it’s been perfect no bubbling, took them a couple of hours to do. Definitely cheaper than having privacy glass.

Pure SD4 Auto Black Tech pack, Pano roof, Powered tailgate, Dim rear view, Carpet mats & edging, Parking Assist Aid - Rear camera, Folding mirrors, Front Fogs, Auto Light, Rain sensor, Adaptive Xenons, Heated SW, Keyless entry and Privacy Glass arrived 13 Jan 12 Smile
25-11-2011 03:51pm