Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Aftermarket In Car Entertainment for Rear Headrests
Koidream

RE: Aftermarket In Car Entertainment for Rear Headrests

Couldn't believe kids were more expensive these days then 25 years ago. Now I know why. Wink

BMW 315
BMW 518
Daihatsu Rocky 2.8D
BMW 320i
BMW R100RT
Triumph Spitfire 1500
Rover 623 Si
BMW 518i
Alfa Romeo 156 1.9JTD
VOLVO S60 D5
Range Rover Evoque TD4

[Image: 343895.png]
22-01-2016 02:58pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
colmorgan

did you fit them? I too gonna buy some off ebay and want to hard wire them,we have the cirrus lunar leather so iwill have to get them recovered.
any tips to help me?
which ones did you buy
27-01-2016 06:29am
chrisjako

(27-01-2016 06:29am)colmorgan Wrote:  did you fit them? I too gonna buy some off ebay and want to hard wire them,we have the cirrus lunar leather so iwill have to get them recovered.
any tips to help me?
which ones did you buy

I also have cirrus leather, i originally bought some xtrons headrest in grey, they came and where too grey so i sent them back and got these in beige : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/XTRONS-9-HD-Ca...SwYHxWHznV

I'm installing them tonight, just watched a video on taking off the central armrest console to access the cigarette lighter live feed, pop off the plastic back and mount them should be a great aftermarket install once done
29-01-2016 03:09pm
colmorgan

(29-01-2016 03:09pm)chrisjako Wrote:  I also have cirrus leather, i originally bought some xtrons headrest in grey, they came and where too grey so i sent them back and got these in beige : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/XTRONS-9-HD-Ca...SwYHxWHznV

I'm installing them tonight, just watched a video on taking off the central armrest console to access the cigarette lighter live feed, pop off the plastic back and mount them should be a great aftermarket install once done

Nah ,to be totally honest I think they are crap, I want the monitors in the headrest
29-01-2016 10:25pm
chrisjako

(29-01-2016 10:25pm)colmorgan Wrote:  Nah ,to be totally honest I think they are crap, I want the monitors in the headrest

I was scared they would look crap but actually they fit pretty well - installation took me less than an hour to hardwire into cigarette lighter i'm really happy with the install - the biege leather is a bit of a mismatch with the cirrus lunar however with the pano roof shut and tinted back window you can hardly tell, I wouldn't care what anything else though about this anyway just want my boys to be entertained when being stuck in a car for long journeys

[Image: image1.jpg]

[Image: image2.JPG]

The remote on the model is nice and small not big and clumsy like the other models ive seen so it fits nicely into the seat back cover netting along with PS3 style gamepad you get with them

Hooked both up to each other so you can view independently or stream one to another

For the install I removed the centre armrest console and cup holder unit, soldered power into cigarette lighter, fed cables down under carpet then up through the seat back cover which easily pops off an back on hiding any remaining wires, I secured all the excess wires in the centre console to avoid them fouling anything and causing a rattle put it all back together and felt a sense of accomplishment lol

These units come on when the car is opened so you can put it on whilst strapping the kids in to keep them quiet,-no need to start ignition then go back to load the video, also they don't switch off until you lock the car so if you have to leave kids in for a few mins whilst unloading shopping they will be kept occupied - little things like this are a bonus upgrade compared to how i used to have them wired up on freelander

I can also remove the whole unit via a locking clip and take away using the quick release switch so if we are on holiday I now also have two portable dvd players to take with us - BONUS! - glad i didn't go for the headrest now
30-01-2016 12:25am
colmorgan

(30-01-2016 12:25am)chrisjako Wrote:  I was scared they would look crap but actually they fit pretty well - installation took me less than an hour to hardwire into cigarette lighter i'm really happy with the install - the biege leather is a bit of a mismatch with the cirrus lunar however with the pano roof shut and tinted back window you can hardly tell, I wouldn't care what anything else though about this anyway just want my boys to be entertained when being stuck in a car for long journeys

The remote on the model is nice and small not big and clumsy like the other models ive seen so it fits nicely into the seat back cover netting along with PS3 style gamepad you get with them

Hooked both up to each other so you can view independently or stream one to another

For the install I removed the centre armrest console and cup holder unit, soldered power into cigarette lighter, fed cables down under carpet then up through the seat back cover which easily pops off an back on hiding any remaining wires, I secured all the excess wires in the centre console to avoid them fouling anything and causing a rattle put it all back together and felt a sense of accomplishment lol

These units come on when the car is opened so you can put it on whilst strapping the kids in to keep them quiet,-no need to start ignition then go back to load the video, also they don't switch off until you lock the car so if you have to leave kids in for a few mins whilst unloading shopping they will be kept occupied - little things like this are a bonus upgrade compared to how i used to have them wired up on freelander

I can also remove the whole unit via a locking clip and take away using the quick release switch so if we are on holiday I now also have two portable dvd players to take with us - BONUS! - glad i didn't go for the headrest now

Thanks for tips to install,same seller has xtrons for the headrests so I will go for them, just need to know if 7"or 9" will be best. My plan is to take Evoque headrests and ones off eBay to an
upholsterer to cover them
30-01-2016 12:42am
wheels

Looking good. Do they tilt or do you still get a good picture even if the angle isnt optimun
30-01-2016 05:38am
chrisjako

(30-01-2016 05:38am)wheels Wrote:  Looking good. Do they tilt or do you still get a good picture even if the angle isnt optimun

Yes they tilt but its so stiff you child probably wont be able to do it unless they are 6+ years old - viewing angle it good anyway

(30-01-2016 12:42am)colmorgan Wrote:  Thanks for tips to install,same seller has xtrons for the headrests so I will go for them, just need to know if 7"or 9" will be best. My plan is to take Evoque headrests and ones off eBay to an
upholsterer to cover them

Please post if you have find the cirrus lunar leather, would defo go for 9" seven is just tiny
(This post was last modified: 01-02-2016 09:16am by chrisjako.)
01-02-2016 09:13am
Robsie71

(30-01-2016 12:25am)chrisjako Wrote:  I was scared they would look crap but actually they fit pretty well - installation took me less than an hour to hardwire into cigarette lighter i'm really happy with the install - the biege leather is a bit of a mismatch with the cirrus lunar however with the pano roof shut and tinted back window you can hardly tell, I wouldn't care what anything else though about this anyway just want my boys to be entertained when being stuck in a car for long journeys

Would you mind sharing the steps you took to remove the centre armrest to get access to the lighter electrics.

Thanks
14-03-2016 01:33pm
chrisjako

(14-03-2016 01:33pm)Robsie71 Wrote:  Would you mind sharing the steps you took to remove the centre armrest to get access to the lighter electrics.

Thanks

14-03-2016 01:51pm