Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Advice needed ref 2017 wales rally
sasdiscos

Advice needed ref 2017 wales rally

Hi guys and gals. Ive never been to a rally before and always wanted to go.

Talking in the pub with a mate a few weeks ago and decided we would go this year. Tickets not on sale yet and info is limited at the mo but was wondering if any one could throw some advice my way.

Im also wondering where to stay in terms of hotel etc?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Many thanks, Steve.
15-02-2017 08:35am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: Advice needed ref 2017 wales rally

You have to pay to spectate at a rally these days? I appreciate it is a long time ago but in the 1960's and 1970's we had a stage of the RAC rally pass through the village I lived in then and there were several special stages in the forests surrounding the village but we were able then to just stand in the trees behind tiger stripe tapes and spectate for free. With recent unfortunate fatalities of spectators in the Isle of Mull rally and in the Scottish Borders I understand why sponsors want to control spectators better, but to have to pay to stand in drizzle, cold, snow or conditions when mosquitos like to bite surprises me they want you to pay as well! We have a member on the forum who is a scrutineer for the MSA he might be able to help though whether he can with the Welsh stages I don't know. Member Druand is the person.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
15-02-2017 11:42am
MrNoo

(15-02-2017 08:35am)sasdiscos Wrote:  Hi guys and gals. Ive never been to a rally before and always wanted to go.

Talking in the pub with a mate a few weeks ago and decided we would go this year. Tickets not on sale yet and info is limited at the mo but was wondering if any one could throw some advice my way.

Im also wondering where to stay in terms of hotel etc?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Many thanks, Steve.

This years event will be held between 26 and 29 October (so coinciding with October half term). It'll be based out of Deeside (as it was last year) and use the Welsh forests again although the route hasn't yet been announced. Plenty of good hotels in North Wales to suit all budgets.
Last years ceremonial start was in Colwyn Bay and the ceremonial finis in Llandudno.

Arrived - SD4 Prestige, 5 door, manual in Orkney Grey with Element interior. Style 4 wheels, spare wheel & auto-dimming rear view mirror.
Joining MX-5 2.0i convertible.
15-02-2017 10:18pm
sasdiscos

Thanks guys, I've been on the web site and it is early doors i know, but as its half term i wanted to book up a hotel. It does say that there will be a special stage at the sweet lamb complex. I guess its just book up and then drive to where i need to get to and hope for the best.

Steve
16-02-2017 08:26am
MrNoo

(16-02-2017 08:26am)sasdiscos Wrote:  Thanks guys, I've been on the web site and it is early doors i know, but as its half term i wanted to book up a hotel. It does say that there will be a special stage at the sweet lamb complex. I guess its just book up and then drive to where i need to get to and hope for the best.

Steve

I can recommend The Quay Hotel in Deganwy. Its about 3 mile from last years start and finish with easy access to both the A55 and A470.
Also Land Rover based themselves here when they were doing the press launch for the Evoque back in the summer of 2011 - I think they started the day at Red Wharf Bay on Anglesey (where Maurice Wilks drew the original Land Rover design in the sand back in 1947) and the journalists ended up at Halewood at the end of the day.

Arrived - SD4 Prestige, 5 door, manual in Orkney Grey with Element interior. Style 4 wheels, spare wheel & auto-dimming rear view mirror.
Joining MX-5 2.0i convertible.
16-02-2017 06:40pm
sasdiscos

Thanks mrnoo. I'll take a look.

Steve
17-02-2017 07:58am