Adaptive Dynamics - awesome? pointless?
SW6RR

Adaptive Dynamics - awesome? pointless?

Bit of both?

Discuss.
29-03-2011 01:25pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
QUATTROMAN

RE: Adaptive Dynamics - awesome? pointless?

(29-03-2011 01:25pm)SW6RR Wrote:  Bit of both?

Discuss.
The benefit is having a split personality vehicle, at the push of a button the car is generally transformed into a tighter, sportier car/suv,
The steering is enhanced by reduced (electric ) servo asistance so you get better road feel and the shocks are electronically controlled either by stiffening up the oil inside (magna traction) Audi developed) or operating the valving on the shocks externally.
By now, the excellent handling team at Jaguar will have worked their magic and fine tuned these two systems to enable us to have no doubts when the system is swithed on to 'Sport or 'Comfort .....So I for one think its a great bit of kit -push the button if you get bored so to speak..
29-03-2011 01:56pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Have had the predecessor - Dynamic Response - on my last RRS and there was a huge difference in the dynamics when it was connected to an air suspension system. The 2.7TDv6 I had was wallowy and rolly at speed on a twisty road - the 3.6TDv8 with it could drive the same road at about 20mph faster and totally flat with not even a hint of body roll. The FFRR 3.6TDv8 doesn't have it and I really miss it (and the adaptive cruise) now the new 4.4 TDv8 FFRR has the Dynamic setting on the Terrain Response and the electronic hydraulic equivalent of the RRE's adaptive system the FFRR now corners dead flat too. One problem with the system in the RRS was that it helped the car to wear out suspension bushes within 2-3000 miles. No reports of that in the FFRR so hopefully the RRE will also not suffer the same "characteristic" as LR called it!
I suspect it will one of those options like surroundcam that people feel they have to have and then find that once the novelty has worn off they hardly ever use it - same as Sport mode on the other models - I rare find I need it and kickdown does the job just as well.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 29-03-2011 03:52pm by XFullFatTim.)
29-03-2011 03:51pm
Charlie
No Longer Registered

Worth adding to a prestige seeing as I've added everything else?
04-04-2011 05:48pm
Kermit

(04-04-2011 05:48pm)Charlie Wrote:  Worth adding to a prestige seeing as I've added everything else?

If money isn't an issue. As FFT stated, after the novelty has worn off you'll probably just leave it in the default setting. If this results in better ride/handling than a non-AD vehicle then it is probably worth it (individuals have different values).
05-04-2011 01:48am
strt8118

Can someone clarify if the adaptive dynamics has an effect in 'normal' driving mode or only when dynamic mode is selected? I though it improved the ride in 'normal' driving as well.

Thanks.
06-04-2011 03:09pm
Blackseries

I'm waiting for a road test / review of a car without it to see what a standard car drives like. Interestingly when I had my WhatCar? preview JLR talked about making it standard across the range - so the fact that the Dynamic is now the only one with it as standard is interesting.

SD4 Prestige Sport Auto 5 Door, Sumatra Black with Ambience interior, Magneride AD, 20" Style 6 Wheels, Panoramic Roof, Surround Cameras, Electric Tailgate, ADRVM.......& Heated Steering Wheel......Gorgeous
06-04-2011 03:23pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

All the tests that I have read the testers say that the car is extremely well sorted without it, the Dynamic setting on the TR sharpens the steering and flattens the roll in spirited driving and does clever things to the suspension offroad too

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
06-04-2011 04:47pm
Kermit

(06-04-2011 03:09pm)strt8118 Wrote:  Can someone clarify if the adaptive dynamics has an effect in 'normal' driving mode

It is a computer controlled suspension system and works in all modes. In each mode the software program is tailored to perform a certain way. Normal mode should feel softer, less responsive, not as harsh/sharp.
(06-04-2011 03:23pm)Blackseries Wrote:  the fact that the Dynamic is now the only one with it as standard is interesting.

Making it optional allows those that want luxury to purchase a Prestige without spending as much, thus more bums on seats.
(This post was last modified: 07-04-2011 02:44am by Kermit.)
07-04-2011 02:41am
x5pea

ive got it on a few of our cars and as mentioned after a few weeks the novelty wears off

I expect the geometry to be that bit better than the rest of the RR range and the benefits I would suspect will be less than that of the FFRR or RRS.
(This post was last modified: 07-04-2011 09:07am by x5pea.)
07-04-2011 09:06am