Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Actual price to pay
Shadow2198

Actual price to pay

Hey guys

I may be a little naieve here but I was told by a dealership that the price quoted today when I put my deposit down will not necessarily be the final price.

I understand that delivery will not be until April and so interest rates and VAT changes will play a part in the final deal between now and then, but my assumption was that the base price of the car plus options would be fixed when I put down my deposit. But I was told that if the price of the car in general increases or requested options increase in price (like the pan sunroof increase) before the deal is settled ready for delivery then I would have to pay the extra.

Could someone confirm whether this is correct and standard practice.

Many thanks for your time
01-10-2011 10:21pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DynamicRRV

RE: Actual price to pay

No the price today is the price you
Pay!
01-10-2011 10:59pm
captaincrash

Nope...price should be fixed, use the on-line builder and take a print-out into the dealership if in doubt...

Ordered; 5 Door SD4 Dynamic LUX Auto, Firenze, Verve, Shadow/7, HBA, Ebony Headline, Privacy Glass, TPMS, Adaptive Xenon's - at the dealer, collecting 1st of March!
01-10-2011 11:49pm
RacingSnake

(01-10-2011 11:49pm)captaincrash Wrote:  Nope...price should be fixed, use the on-line builder and take a print-out into the dealership if in doubt...
i did this, but he still went away do not only double check the individual prices, but used a calculator to make sure the website wasnt lying Very Happy
02-10-2011 07:38am
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

As the sale is a contract between the Dealership and yourself then you could ask to insert a clause of your own stating that sale is conditional on prices being maintained at those on the date of signing the contract. Not sure of the legal standing or whether the dealer would agree but there is no harm trying.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
02-10-2011 09:10am
Charlie
No Longer Registered

I think because you're due delivery in April and 31st March is the end of the first quarter, things like price increases and amendments are likely to take place from April 1st. Also April being the start of the new tax year could result in tax changes.

I think your dealer is correct in saying that cannot guarantee prices will remain unchanged. The dealer is unlikely to agree to honour today's prices with so many people 'queuing up' as any increases will come from LR and HMRC and beyond their control.

Not so great for the consumer but the consequences of buying a sought after product.
02-10-2011 09:34am
GibEvoque

(02-10-2011 09:34am)Charlie Wrote:  I think because you're due delivery in April and 31st March is the end of the first quarter, things like price increases and amendments are likely to take place from April 1st. Also April being the start of the new tax year could result in tax changes.

I think your dealer is correct in saying that cannot guarantee prices will remain unchanged. The dealer is unlikely to agree to honour today's prices with so many people 'queuing up' as any increases will come from LR and HMRC and beyond their control.

Not so great for the consumer but the consequences of buying a sought after product.

Not sure how this would work as if you have a budget, the price then increases above your budget, the dealership will have to deal with cancelled orders, which is not in their interest.

2012 RRE TD4 Auto Dynamic, Fuji white, Shadow Chrome alloys, Panoramic contrast roof
1983 Mk1 Golf Cabriolet 1.8 Gli - Plaything
2009 Fiat Bravo 1.4 T-jet Dyamic - Gone
1994 306 XSi - Long Gone
1985 Mk2 1.3 Golf CL - First LoveWink
02-10-2011 12:05pm
cjfp

I believe that the 'net' car prices are set when you sign an order. However, the VAT charged will be dependant on the prevailing rate at time of invoice (which will be delivery?).

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
02-10-2011 01:02pm
stitcher

Fully understand you frustration on this one , when I went to pick up my Audi last year I was hit with the additional showroom tax which wasn't on the original price quoted by the dealership. In the end I had to pay it , they have you in between a rock and a hard place , I just wanted to get out of the showroom and drive my new car .
02-10-2011 01:06pm
Charlie
No Longer Registered

(02-10-2011 01:02pm)cjfp Wrote:  I believe that the 'net' car prices are set when you sign an order. However, the VAT charged will be dependant on the prevailing rate at time of invoice (which will be delivery?).

Nice thought but clearly one dealer doesn't agree!
02-10-2011 02:00pm