Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
9 speeder question
boboborino

RE: 9 speeder question

-------------
(This post was last modified: 09-06-2017 10:15pm by boboborino.)
06-05-2017 01:13pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Andy131

The way the politicians are mouthing off we will all be back to driving petrol cars - or electric.

Get the technology right and electric should be interesting as there is no excuse for lag - maximum torque from standstill Very Happy
07-05-2017 11:04am
Andy131

OK an update
Last weekend Gill stopped me from dumping the car at the dealers, complete with keys and saying "give me what you think it's worth" I had had enough, the bloody car is trying to kill me.

have you ever pulled out in front of a tanker, to find the car didn't want to accelerate above 800rpm?

Took it back again yesterday, and took a test drive with another technician, mmm there is definitely a delay, so they popped it into the workshop, no faults found and software was up to date surprise surprise.
Anyway they reset the learning (for the airflow?) very different, still doesn't pull away quickly, but at least the engine revs up as soon as you touch the accelerator, so you are pulling away quicker than walking pace.

Time will tell.

is there a way to stop the car from learning?
Tried the disconnect the batteries and touching the leads together (for 4 hours) trick - without success.
15-07-2017 10:43am
boboborino

(29-04-2017 12:24pm)Andy131 Wrote:  Leaving her in sport mode and using paddle shift and she seems quite responsive, a deal quicker than the FL2, but driving an auto in manual all the time does seem to defeat the point.

how about leaving it in sport mode and let the vehicle do the shifting!? I always put ours in sport mode, and only use the paddles when I feel like doing so, otherwise the automatic shifting is just fine(in sport mode), way better than "Drive" Mode

Bert
15-07-2017 12:48pm
Andy131

believe it or not sand mode + sport mode + paddle shift and still 3 seconds before she would pull off at faster than walking speed

Even the dreaded left foot on brake, right foot on accelerator - held at 2000 rpm, need to move, release brake and floor accelerator and ------- nothing, stays at 2000rpm, slowly moves off, give her a 3-4 seconds and then all hell lets loose.

tried same in sport mode with first gear selected on paddle shift, no different - try the same in a FL2 and all hell lets loose - I wonder why the gearbox on the FL2 was dying after 185k of that sort of treatment?

But lets see how she shapes up after her latest visit to the dealers, working at home this weekend, so no time to go for a drive.
15-07-2017 01:08pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

I would suggest that you try to record it on your phone and then take it to the dealership because it certainly isn't normal that it takes 3 secs to get up to speed.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
15-07-2017 04:34pm
druand

I have read all the above posts and can identify with all the points raised. In addition to these anomalies my 180 Auto tended to run on when foot off throttle slowing for corners.
Dealers carried out 2 software upgrades early this year and it positively improved driveability concern, very happy until a few weeks ago when the "service required in 1000 miles" warning showed. Not due till 20k or 2 years.
Dealer said it needed an oil and filter change and did this under warranty due to oil dilution. Car now back to its old bad driving habits.
Now not happy.
Booked back in so??? fingers crossed it should not be difficult to reinstall the software that improved driving quality.
19-07-2017 03:16pm
Andy131

Ok a couple of weeks and over a thousand miles later.

The long random delay (6 seconds+) has gone, this would have appeared at least every other day, and sometimes half a dozen times on a single journey.
The standard 3 second delay, also has gone, you put your foot down and the revs rise, she might not move off sharply, but she will move off almost instantly, and accelerates quickly once the revs pass 2k

Strange thing is she sets off quicker if you don't bury your foot into the carpet immediately, give her 50%, let the revs start to rise to 2000, then plant foot in carpet if you really want to.

She hadn't re-learned her bad habits, but still took her back to the dealers, We took her for a test drive with the engineer driving, he was happy, I am happier that the drive is predictable. So OK what was actually done?
Re-leaning isn't strictly true, they actually re-flashed the ECU.......
So if a previous owner had had the car re-mapped, the re-map was gone.

Result
31-07-2017 02:56pm
druand

I was going to update after visit to dealer but fortunately this is not now required.

Over the weekend I drove the same 90 mile return journey twice (180 miles) on a country A road. Hilly and lots of corners.
My passenger is a very experienced HGV driver who also competes in Rallying in very competitive cars (as did I some years ago)
I drove the journeys fairly briskly!!! in Sport Mode but not using paddle shift. Fuel consumption no different @ 43mpg

This morning on my usual town and local journey I used D as normal, Evoque drove absolutely smoothly and gear changes were perfect. A totally different and smoother drive.
Adaptive Gearbox Memory seemed to have relearned.
I could not believe the difference.
I do know about the adaptive memory as when I visit the Isle of Mull for a few days (Mull Rally Week)I drive 2-3 hundred miles on very twisty single track public roads, lots of stopping starting at passing places and quick bursts between. Back on mainland for the first 30+ miles the gear changing is somewhat different!!! until it relearns.
31-07-2017 03:53pm
Andy131

I have to admit that I have a "cure" for the adaptive memory

Plug in the Foxwell diagnostic tool, and reset adaptive learning - usually after a long motorway journey, lets say Reading and back (200 miles each way), she will have got lazy. Seems to be every couple of weeks.
31-07-2017 04:36pm