Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
6-speed Auto D mode gear dash display
benzina

6-speed Auto D mode gear dash display

Is there a way where you can keep the display of the gears showing on the dash when in drive mode once activated by the paddle shifters?
Unlike in sport mode when the gear number remains showing, when in D - mode, it always defaults back to just showing D after just a short while.
It would be nice if there is some sort of trick where you can keep the numbers showing all the time.

2012 Dynamic SD4 Auto 5-Door / Indus / Black Roof / Vortex / AD / Style 7 Alloys / Panoramic Roof / Rear Vents / BSM / TPMS / Sat Nav
(This post was last modified: 11-02-2017 05:29am by benzina.)
22-01-2017 09:35am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
benzina

RE: 6-speed Auto D mode gear dash display

Bump....Anyone got an answer for the above? Thanks

2012 Dynamic SD4 Auto 5-Door / Indus / Black Roof / Vortex / AD / Style 7 Alloys / Panoramic Roof / Rear Vents / BSM / TPMS / Sat Nav
11-02-2017 05:34am
xz4

Sorry, can't help. I think they all do that and there's no way to change it. Try Sports mode.

MY16 HSE Dynamic Lux, Indus Silver, Black Leather, Black Pack, Head up display, Self park pack, 22" Overfinch wheels. Love it
11-02-2017 06:53am
benzina

No worries...No with the 6 speeder, when in Sport mode it shows the gear number but only when you start paddle shifting, and only changes with your next command.
So i just bought a new OBD2 scanner with specifically installed Landrover software called the "ICARSOFT LRII" (cost $224 Aud).
Its brilliant!!! Does full diagnostic scan on all systems of the car, and also reads live data too.

It provides so much information its fascinating.

So just the thing i wanted in order to see the gear readout live and constant while driving in D-mode.
Interestingly,as i ran the live data on gear changes as i was driving, this tool proved what i suspected....it actually starts in 1st gear when the car comes to a halt,even though the dash display says 2nd. (Don't know why the dash reading says 2nd on standstill)
Most people here thought the car starts in 2nd gear,and i did too up until this device proved otherwise. Could the recent transmission update done by the dealer have anything to do with this i'm not sure.
So while the dash display says 2nd gear, its actually 1st gear, as this device shows the live reading is 1st gear.
If you don't have an OBD2 scanner, you can still prove this by counting the gear changes on acceleration, and then pressing the up paddle shifter to reveal the gear number before the next shift point...say 4th gear before 65kph to stop it upshifting.

This tool is amazing,very user friendly even without reading the user manual first as i did.... and i highly recommend it on 2012 - 13 year models with 6 speed for full diagnostic information .

[Image: IMG_1662_zps7mm1mqtg.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 13-02-2017 11:45am by benzina.)
11-02-2017 12:13pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

I always thought that the 6 speed auto started in 1st, its the 9 speeder that will start in 2nd or even 3rd unless you are towing something heavy or using the off-road TR settings when it will use 1st on steep down slopes (and you manually hold it in first) to give engine breaking. That was the problem with my 9 speeder after the software "upgrade" it started in 1st all the time and the revs screamed up to 3500 before it would engage 2nd............. not great for a cold engine or for fuel consumption/ emissions and why it kept burning out DPF sensors.
Regarding the display of the gear that the gearbox is in in D, my RRS is the same, you only get the selected gear showing in S or if you use a paddle. Also with the 9 speeder in normal driving it is dammed hard to get it into 9th, IIRC I had to be doing over 62mph / 100kph before the rev drop on the upshift would keep in the power band otherwise it just wouldn't go up to 9th, even using the paddle shift! On the vast majority of non motorway roads in the UK 62 mph is over the speed limit. 62mph was something like 1150 rpm in 9th and just below the maximum torque.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 11-02-2017 03:55pm by XFullFatTim.)
11-02-2017 03:49pm
benzina

Yeah, it's just strange that on the 6 speeder, when the gear number is displayed on the dash after initialising it via the paddle shifters on slowing to a stop to observe it changing down in both D & S modes, the display says 2nd gear on standstill, when in fact its 1st gear thats engaged.

P.S. The icarsoft diagnostic tool above, is specific for both Landrover & Jaguar cars, and i think its great.

(This post was last modified: 12-02-2017 01:48am by benzina.)
12-02-2017 01:36am
xz4

(11-02-2017 03:49pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  I always thought that the 6 speed auto started in 1st, its the 9 speeder that will start in 2nd or even 3rd unless you are towing something heavy or using the off-road TR settings when it will use 1st on steep down slopes (and you manually hold it in first) to give engine breaking. That was the problem with my 9 speeder after the software "upgrade" it started in 1st all the time and the revs screamed up to 3500 before it would engage 2nd............. not great for a cold engine or for fuel consumption/ emissions and why it kept burning out DPF sensors.
Regarding the display of the gear that the gearbox is in in D, my RRS is the same, you only get the selected gear showing in S or if you use a paddle. Also with the 9 speeder in normal driving it is dammed hard to get it into 9th, IIRC I had to be doing over 62mph / 100kph before the rev drop on the upshift would keep in the power band otherwise it just wouldn't go up to 9th, even using the paddle shift! On the vast majority of non motorway roads in the UK 62 mph is over the speed limit. 62mph was something like 1150 rpm in 9th and just below the maximum torque.

It's the same in all higher gears in the 9 speed Tim. Mine wont stay in 6th 7th 8th or 9th unless i'm above certain speeds.

MY16 HSE Dynamic Lux, Indus Silver, Black Leather, Black Pack, Head up display, Self park pack, 22" Overfinch wheels. Love it
12-02-2017 12:54pm