Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
50 + MPG
timhum

RE: 50 + MPG

Speary
I'm sure you have a good point about driving style helping to maximise mpg and I would really like to drive with someone who has these skills to educate me.
My confusion is that some of these figures are better than those claimed by Land Rover in their official tests; which are generally thought to be the absolute best that can be obtained under 'ideal' conditions and are not generally considered to be representative of those obtained in every day conditions.
Tim
09-07-2013 08:26pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
m_101

I've previously got an average of 42.5 going on cruise control from Newcastle to Glasgow - first along to Carlisle then up the M74, averaging about 65mph. That's pretty much the best I've seen though, in my SD4 auto dynamic. Wonder if part of it is due to the continentals...
Having said that Pirelli tyre prices might have to come down soon if this year's F1 season is any indication! Might go for a set of them next.

5 door MY12 Fuji Dynamic Plus with shadow chromes, santorini contrast roof, power tailgate and a couple of added rattles!
Mods - Black RR bonnet vents, Side steps, Silicone rear wiper, rear sill protector, rear sill plates, LED interior lighting conversion, 2014 Sat Nav update.
09-07-2013 08:46pm
speary

(09-07-2013 08:26pm)timhum Wrote:  Speary
I'm sure you have a good point about driving style helping to maximise mpg and I would really like to drive with someone who has these skills to educate me.
My confusion is that some of these figures are better than those claimed by Land Rover in their official tests; which are generally thought to be the absolute best that can be obtained under 'ideal' conditions and are not generally considered to be representative of those obtained in every day conditions.
Tim

I think in general nobody is getting anywhere near Land rovers claimed figures. As I said my weekly average is 38.5 at the moment. If I cruise on the motorway at 60 for 50 miles I get about 48, if I cruise at say 75 is it drops to about 38. Best to take an average over a minimum of a week to get a representative real world consumption. Re somebody showing you how to drive smarter, contact http://www.iam.org.uk to find you local group

Pure Coupe SD4 Manual; Fuji White; 19" style 5 wheels; Addaptive Xenons; Auto Lights, Wipers and Rear Mirror; Folding mirrors with cool puddle lights. Magnoflow Exhaust finishers
10-07-2013 08:23am
timhum

Sorry Speary, I didn't see your reference to a weekly average of 38.5. That would equate to around 34.5 from an automatic which is pretty well what we achieve. As a matter of interest I have tried to log steady speed fuel consumption on our regular trip to Geneva and have found that, again in an auto, we achieve 35 at 70 mph and 32.5 at 80 mph, again generally in line with your findings.
Tim
10-07-2013 09:35am
JimWooly

I started using an app on my iPhone a couple of years ago called 'Road Trip' and have entered the amount of fuel bought and the mileage covered since buying my current car (Audi TT TDi Quattro) and the variation in miles per gallon caused by the temperature and type of driving is quite easily spotted on the built in graphs. The use of this app also shows up the optimistic figures provided by the cars computer. Just out of interest the range of miles per gallon varies from 32 to 48 per tankfull depending as stated on the outside temperature (time of year) and type of driving (motorways or 'A'/'B' roads).
10-07-2013 10:08pm
speary

(10-07-2013 10:08pm)JimWooly Wrote:  I started using an app on my iPhone a couple of years ago called 'Road Trip' and have entered the amount of fuel bought and the mileage covered since buying my current car (Audi TT TDi Quattro) and the variation in miles per gallon caused by the temperature and type of driving is quite easily spotted on the built in graphs. The use of this app also shows up the optimistic figures provided by the cars computer. Just out of interest the range of miles per gallon varies from 32 to 48 per tankfull depending as stated on the outside temperature (time of year) and type of driving (motorways or 'A'/'B' roads).

I have found the Evoque trip computer average calculation to be very accurate, within 0.3 mpg. this is much more accurate than my previous Audis

Pure Coupe SD4 Manual; Fuji White; 19" style 5 wheels; Addaptive Xenons; Auto Lights, Wipers and Rear Mirror; Folding mirrors with cool puddle lights. Magnoflow Exhaust finishers
11-07-2013 08:20am
IvorRedOne

Chance of 50mpg in Northern Ireland? Nil. Best I've achieved over the past 16 months is 35mpg. 32 years Driving experience, Qualified ADI, Military and Civilian Defensive Driving Instructor. This is definitely not a car For this small country with it's smaller network of roads. Sad
11-07-2013 10:24pm