Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
2wd with winter Tyres vs 4wd without
Jonathon555

2wd with winter Tyres vs 4wd without

What will perform better in snow & ice

2wd ed4 fitted with winter Tyres or

a td4 4wd with the standard oem Tyres

SD4 Arrived, Fuji , 20" style wheels, Privacy glass, Front fogs, Auto wiper and Auto Lights, Black leather

MY Nuburburing & Track Videos http://www.youtube.com/user/jonathon555?...sults_main
27-08-2011 09:42pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ED209

RE: 2wd with winter Tyres vs 4wd without

who knows, but having seen the difference between 2 front wheel drive cars last year, one with winter tyres on the front and one without the difference might not be much.

you also have to factor driver skill into the eqation too
27-08-2011 09:56pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Neither will perform well on ice, at least as far as stopping is concerned.
I have no idea if 2WD with winters will perform better than a 4WD with it's OEM M&S tyres. I would say 6 of one and half a dozen of the other, however with 2WD if traction is lost on one front wheel then you are stuck - with the 4WD the TC and Haldex will send the power to the wheel with most traction so you have a greater chance of keeping moving, even better if you have 4WD and winter tyres

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
27-08-2011 09:57pm
Jonathon555

This is why I ask the question

SD4 Arrived, Fuji , 20" style wheels, Privacy glass, Front fogs, Auto wiper and Auto Lights, Black leather

MY Nuburburing & Track Videos http://www.youtube.com/user/jonathon555?...sults_main
27-08-2011 10:07pm
Rattrala

4 wheel drive with standard OEM m & s tires and snow program selected on terrain response will perform better than two wheel drive in winter tires with no terrain response fitted.(ed4 does not have terrain response)IMHO.
4wd will hav better traction for accelerating in snow. The braking May well be better with winter tyres , so best option would be 4 wheel drive with winter tyres.
Also when driving on snow you normally change your driving style, in the video it shows the two cars wheelspin ing away. In snow the idea is not to thrash the car to get it moving but carefully use of the accelerator to limit wheelspin.
28-08-2011 07:47am
forest172

last winter I put Hankook RW06 winter tyres on my renault master dropside`s drive wheels only with is FWD. This transformed the vehicle, and it would start easily from a stand still on hills with a good 4" on snow on. In october they will be going back on my truck, but this time I have the RWD new version, which means another set for the front might also be needed.

The moral of the story is a 2wd vehicle with winter tyres on are transformed on snow by the tyres only.

Evoque PURE sd4 auto
Disco 4 GS gone
Toy 1 - Focus RS mk2
Toy 2 - Evo Xrs in the garage as my avatar
(This post was last modified: 28-08-2011 10:04am by XFullFatTim.)
28-08-2011 09:58am
Jonathon555

Are the Tyres fitted to the Evoque m+s ???

The cars I have looked at appears to have just road orientated Tyres on, no m+s markings

Do we have a definitive answer on what Tyres are being fitted at the factory ?

(This post was last modified: 28-08-2011 10:43am by XFullFatTim.)
28-08-2011 10:40am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Generally for their 4WD cars Land Rover fits mud and snow tyres, this gives them offroad ability straight out of the showroom. Mud and Snow tyres do look like "normal" tyres, they have to be a compromise to reduce tyre roar on-road. HOWEVER, for 2WD cars I don't know. You could ask over on the Freelander2 forums though as F2 is now available in 2WD and 4WD versions so I'm sure somebody there would be able to tell. The tyres on my FFRR are Pirelli Scorpions - they are M&S tyres but you have to look hard for the marking and the treads look just like plain road tyre treads. On my TDv8 RRS I had Pirelli Assymetricos and these looked like a purely on road tyre but they too were marked M&S

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 28-08-2011 10:46am by XFullFatTim.)
28-08-2011 10:43am
Jonathon555

(28-08-2011 10:43am)FullFatTim Wrote:  Generally for their 4WD cars Land Rover fits mud and snow tyres, this gives them offroad ability straight out of the showroom. Mud and Snow tyres do look like "normal" tyres, they have to be a compromise to reduce tyre roar on-road. HOWEVER, for 2WD cars I don't know. You could ask over on the Freelander2 forums though as F2 is now available in 2WD and 4WD versions so I'm sure somebody there would be able to tell. The tyres on my FFRR are Pirelli Scorpions - they are M&S tyres but you have to look hard for the marking and the treads look just like plain road tyre treads. On my TDv8 RRS I had Pirelli Assymetricos and these looked like a purely on road tyre but they too were marked M&S

Great , I will have look.

I just need to decide between ed4 & sd4 for tax reasons

28-08-2011 11:35am
vinny

Did you notice they showed the size of the summer tyres as 245/45 but didnt show you the size of the winters?When you look the width of the winters are nowhere near 245/45 so not a direct comparison.
Usual bmw pitch to fool you into parting with your cash,wanted £1700 for a set of winter tyres and wheels for my 123d coupe on the off chance I may want to use it between november and april !
Probably the main reason for ordering the evoque.Very Happy

My order- fuji white sd4 manual coupe,tech pack,xenons,style 6 20's,pano roof,privacy,front fogs,rear camera,folding mirrors,ebony int/ivory headliner,dec delivery.(still waiting!) Collected 14/01/2012
NOW SOLD as of 26/07/14 Very Happy
Now driving Audi SQ5, everything the Evoque should of been.
28-08-2011 11:50am