Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
2013 model steering rack problem
Major Mike

2013 model steering rack problem

My 2013 diesel Evoque TD4 has a lowish mileage (22,000). In the last 9 months it has only travelled a few miles to local shops one day a week for provisions (as we are still doing during Lockdown).
Yesterday we travelled as normal and upon arriving back at home the Fault light signalled a fault with "power steering reduced assistance". The steering had become heavy and it took several goes to reverse the car onto the drive. Put in a call to local LR dealership (Stratstone Nottingham) and was told to arrange for car to be shipped to them for diagnosis. Called Green Flag [very quick response] and off went the car, the dealership had initially said that it would b about 2 weeks before they could look at it due to the current Lockdown situation, but all credit to them, received a phone call later in the evening stating that the fault was with the Steering Rack and it required to be replaced!!
They quoted in the region of £3,000 to replace the rack!!!
I have searched the various Evoque forums and lo and behold this is a common occurrence, I would like a comment from CRC@LANDROVER and possibly a contribution from them to the dealer, I am a 79 year old pensioner and rely on my Car to get out for essential foodstuffs and £3k seems a bit steep seeing as it is a very low mileage car and it has never been Off Road.

2013 Dynamic, 5Dr, SD4 Auto, Havana with Black Contrast, 20" Style 6 Alloys + Spare Wheel
02-07-2020 06:12pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: 2013 model steering rack problem

Welcome to the forum, I’m sorry it was under unfortunate circumstances

I would suggest that you copy and paste your post into the dedicated LRCS section here http://babyrr.com/forum/Forum-Land-Rover...-Relations AND also email it to them as you cannot use the PM system until you have made 5 posts on the forum. If you are signed up to TwitteR or FB also post the comments on the Land Rover pages there - they seem to react much more quickly to posts on social media where millions are watching than on dedicated owners forums where only other owners are watching/ reading.
I’ve recently had dealings with LRCS over QC problems with my new Defender, the way that they work is as a clearing point for issues, directing them to the right departments in JLR for response. Sometimes it takes a while for those other departments to react. Good luck.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 03-07-2020 09:12am by XFullFatTim.)
03-07-2020 09:06am
Major Mike

(03-07-2020 09:06am)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Welcome to the forum, I’m sorry it was under unfortunate circumstances

I would suggest that you copy and paste your post into the dedicated LRCS section here http://babyrr.com/forum/Forum-Land-Rover...-Relations AND also email it to them as you cannot use the PM system until you have made 5 posts on the forum. If you are signed up to TwitteR or FB also post the comments on the Land Rover pages there - they seem to react much more quickly to posts on social media where millions are watching than on dedicated owners forums where only other owners are watching/ reading.
I’ve recently had dealings with LRCS over QC problems with my new Defender, the way that they work is as a clearing point for issues, directing them to the right departments in JLR for response. Sometimes it takes a while for those other departments to react. Good luck.

Hi XFullFatTim,
I have done as you suggested, copy/posted to the LRCS section and alsp put a comment on FB.
Am waiting to hear when Car has been repaired, not holding my breath about a contribution from JLR though!
Many Thanks

2013 Dynamic, 5Dr, SD4 Auto, Havana with Black Contrast, 20" Style 6 Alloys + Spare Wheel
04-07-2020 05:04pm
XFullFatTim

Do you have a full main dealer service history because they seem to pay contributions quicker and more readily on the cars that have remained in the dealer network for servicing. Good luck with getting a contribution - do you know if it is the bolts that have failed due to corrosion or another problem? Bolt corrosion seems to be becoming a “feature” on older Evoques and some Disco-Sports.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
04-07-2020 05:20pm
Major Mike

(04-07-2020 05:20pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Do you have a full main dealer service history because they seem to pay contributions quicker and more readily on the cars that have remained in the dealer network for servicing. Good luck with getting a contribution - do you know if it is the bolts that have failed due to corrosion or another problem? Bolt corrosion seems to be becoming a “feature” on older Evoques and some Disco-Sports.

No, it was serviced within the dealer network for the first 3 years of warranty but being a pensioner and because I was not doing a lot of miles decided to get it serviced locally in Nottingham.

07-07-2020 09:57pm
Major Mike

XFullFatTim
Update on Steering Rack Issue.
Have just received my Car back from the LR Dealership (Stratstone Nottingham) repaired with a New Steering Rack.
All credit to the dealership in negotiating a 50% contribution from JLR and in fixing it so quickly [7 days].
Thank you for the tips and also Thank You JLR for doing the decent fix.
Just shows what Social Media and conversing with CRCLandRover advising them of your knowledge of the Recall (Canada) and the fault having been previously reported to the DVSA.
Many Thanks.
Mike

10-07-2020 11:35am
XFullFatTim

It’s what owner forums are for! Just got my 91 year old Dad a free replacement battery for his 2010 Honda Jazz Auto because his died just before lock down (it was a Halfords cheapo job and lasted about 14 months). I looked on the Jazz owners forum and saw that there is an issue with rapid battery drain on his model and the year his was built. He called the local dealership and was told to take the car in and they would check the car out for a loose earth strap. Despite C-19 precautions I trailered his car in and they fixed it while we waited and for free fitted an new Varta battery which isn’t bad on a 10 years old car that hasn’t been to a main dealer since the warranty ran out! Just the battery cost £103, no idea what the Labour was for 45 minutes and it got a Quick valet too! But there was a downer ............ I found he has a massive long crack in his windscreen that’s goes right across his line of sight, didn’t say anything to the dealership but their technician noticed it and that the car is due for MOT in August - they/ve ordered in a new screen but “he’s free to go wherever his insurance company suggests to get a replacement”
Now I have to persuade him that really he shouldn’t be driving................ he’s dangerous to other road users, especially cyclists who he just doesn’t seem to see even when they have a bright blinking red tail light showing in the daytime.......

(This post was last modified: 10-07-2020 09:25pm by XFullFatTim.)
10-07-2020 09:21pm