Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
2012 Evoque USB Issues
Apache14

2012 Evoque USB Issues

Hello all 1st time posting Very Happy

So we have recently gotten a 2012/13 RR Evoque and its been a constant pain with playing from a USB stick in the arm rest compartment, I'm a Software Engineer for embedded systems and this is probably one of the most annoying USB issues iv ever seen. There is a lot of people around the internet complaining of USB issues and there are "lists" of tested USB sticks with some people saying USB stick X will work and others saying it will not .... this shouldn't be an issue as long as the USB stick and RR follows the USB base / USB mass storage standards :/ (enough ranting from me) .... here are the symptoms of this.

We have 3 USB sticks :-

* Non brand 8GB
* Lexar 16GB
* SanDisk Cruzer Fit 32 GB

Now all of them have a hand full of normal MP3's and are formatted as FAT32 (tried in both windows and linux to format) and most importantly they all have worked / do work for some time in their current state, For example this morning the SanDisk Cruzer worked for about 15min but after stopping and starting the car all we get is the "please connect device" message from the head unit.

The other day it was working "really well" and we where able to play some songs from the non brand drive, unplug that and then play some from the lexar . . . then the day after all we get is "please connect device" ... again

Overall i think we have been able to get the USB drive to play something for about 10% of the time, the rest we will just see "please connect device".

Iv used a USB voltage / power meter on it and it shows between 4.95 - 5.05 Volts and about 0.09 - 0.1amps, so thats all fine. The lexar has a nice "activity" LED that flashes when the device is accessed, and it flashes a for about 1/2 a second on plugging in and thats all.

Anyone have any advice ?

P.S. we took it to a RR dealer who got it working ... for the trip home and then stopped again
18-09-2016 12:29pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
wheels

RE: 2012 Evoque USB Issues

There is a thread in here about this piece of crap RR have in their cars. Some advice in the thread, do a search
18-09-2016 09:57pm
Apache14

I did search but couldn't find any issues as intermittent as this (other threads seemed either be about not working at all or lock ups during playback)

Anyway, if it's just a case of a crappy entertainment system in these then I'll just have to deal with that Smile
(This post was last modified: 18-09-2016 10:36pm by Apache14.)
18-09-2016 10:35pm
PhilSkill

What recording bit rate are you using?

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
18-09-2016 11:10pm
Apache14

Its 320kbps I think but it shouldn't really matter as when (one of the theee) USB drive is detected it playes the media fine.
18-09-2016 11:14pm
PhilSkill

I found VBR files would randomly lock up, hence my question must be a bug in the interface, but it's been rock solid with my "Preferred" USB sticks at 320Kbs.

Generally larger 16gb+ or actually more modern USB sticks have lead me to see the problems you describe initially, but now I have 3 USB sticks that seem to work perfectly. I'm not saying it's right, just that this is how it is. Although yours is sounding more problematical than most.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
19-09-2016 01:57pm