Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20" Wheels and Ride
Robbo

RE: 20" Wheels and Ride

(01-08-2011 04:20pm)Sassy Wrote:  My test car had a clanky rattle coming from the rear too.

My feelings having driven a diesel coupe prestige are as follows:

Pros -

Well put together interior in the Prestige with lots of soft touch materials, squishy padding, damped movements and neat fits to all the edges and closings.
Sat nav and sound system a vast improvement on clumsy system in current FFRR
Auto diesel plenty of oomph when asked for, smooth, quiet.
Rear park camera also an improvement on LR's current system on FFRR.
Boot and rear passenger area pleasantly roomy.
Easy access height to get in and out of car, even into rear of coupe (not sure you'd get a MaxiCosi through the gap into the back of the coupe tho).
Feels like you're driving a mini version of the FFRR in terms of steering weight, stance on road, height. That said, dimensions are nice and neat for maneuvering and parking
Bits all worked well, ie elec seats, air con, pan roof, sound system etc

Cons -

I don't know if the exterior looks of the car blew me away in the way I was expecting. I feel from the front it's still very Freelander, and driving behind one on the road test, again, I'm not sure it filled my eyes with pleasure. It's CUTE and different (because we're not used to it yet). But not stunning. IMO.
Same with the DRLs - there are other cars out there that make better use of these in terms of styling.
The Dynamic interior is flatter/harder than the Prestige - doesn't have that FFRR landscape of luxury that I would expect for the premium price.
Powered tailgate only wants you to work with the motor - doesn't like manual operation at all. So if you're in a hurry you can't open and close it quickly like on a normal tailgate mechanism.
Shadowline wheels are only very subtly darker, not as dark as the website representation.
I thought the ride in the Prestige was hard and bumpy. I was expecting a softer glide given the FFRR's cruiser style characteristics. Reminded me of bumping along in the Mini, which is the sensation I was trying to avoid by moving up to a luxury SUV.
Chrome effect wheels are horrible.
No off road testing (FFRR day took us on off road route, Evoque hiding something?). I will use mine off road so I would have liked to see this in action. (Terrapod no comparison to real off road).

All in all, left a tiny bit lukewarm about the Evoque. It's not as special as the FFRR. It's not vastly unlike a Freelander except the interior finish. It should, I think, be priced about £5-£10k less than it is. I think for £42k I could get a much more special car. Or I could half that amount and get the same driving pleasure and headturning style from a Mini Countryman. I've really been left in two minds now about continuing with the order. Might take that 20% over list WAGs offer mentioned elsewhere!!!

ERR what is a maxicosi.
01-08-2011 05:18pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
cjfp

(01-08-2011 05:18pm)Robbo Wrote:  ERR what is a maxicosi.

Google is a wonderful tool - a Maxi Cosi is a child seat.

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
01-08-2011 05:21pm
Sassy

(01-08-2011 05:18pm)Robbo Wrote:  ERR what is a maxicosi.

Ha! It's a baby seat.

That was a reference to a previous 'discussion' on here about ordering the coupe if you have children to accomodate in the rear. I don't. But I do know the size and weight of a baby seat and I think it would be a squeeze even with seat as far forward as it goes. Which could lead to a lot of scrapes on your B pillar/headlining/back of front seats. Plus a shoulder strain and general tears of frustration from all concerned.

However, only the case in the coupe. 5 door 100% Maxicosi friendly.

On order: Coupe SD4 Dynamic Auto, Indus Silver, 20" Chrome Shadow Wheels, Pursuit/Lunar/Gloss Black
Current cars: BMW X3 (MK1)
Gone: Mini Cooper S
Gone: Lotus Exige
01-08-2011 05:24pm
Daigriff

(01-08-2011 04:59pm)Blackseries Wrote:  [quote='paulus599' pid='6098' dateline='1312214245']
Thanks for that Sassy, very informative, but not shure about the 'headturning style from a Mini Countryman'. Should that not read Stomach Turning Sad

+1
[/quote

+2

The countryman is dreadful. Chap down the road has just bought one, in White ... Hideous.

Arrived 16th December 2011: 5 door Prestige SD4 auto in Barolo black with ambience interior, pano roof, privacy and 20" style 6 alloys.Very Happy
01-08-2011 05:52pm
Sassy

(01-08-2011 05:52pm)Daigriff Wrote:  
(01-08-2011 04:59pm)Blackseries Wrote:  [quote='paulus599' pid='6098' dateline='1312214245']
Thanks for that Sassy, very informative, but not shure about the 'headturning style from a Mini Countryman'. Should that not read Stomach Turning Sad

+1
[/quote

+2

The countryman is dreadful. Chap down the road has just bought one, in White ... Hideous.

Yeah.

I know.

But I'm just getting cold feet about the price of the Evoque. I also admired a KIA Sportage the other day and had to have a word with myself!

On order: Coupe SD4 Dynamic Auto, Indus Silver, 20" Chrome Shadow Wheels, Pursuit/Lunar/Gloss Black
Current cars: BMW X3 (MK1)
Gone: Mini Cooper S
Gone: Lotus Exige
01-08-2011 05:54pm