Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
2 batteries?
Galsmate

2 batteries?

Hi,

I recently took my Evoque to a Landrover service centre as I am having issues with my rear tailgate. At intermittent times it wont auto open using any of the 3 opening options (internal, key or external buttons).
It did have a message come up on the radio screen when the car was on acc (not running) that there was a low battery and the system would switch off after a minute or something and about 6 months ago I had some warning message about stability control?? come up on the dash whilst driving along the highway.

So I am thinking the battery has something to do with it... however... here is my question...

I was told by the service place that I would require 2 x replacement batteries, one about $900 worth and the other about $500. What's worse is that it is just 3 months out of warranty (only 40,000ks on the clock). And was told that the batteries need replacing before doing the recall work on the transmission which I wasn't aware of.

Forgive my ignorance.. but I had no idea the Evoque had 2 batteries?

Can someone confirm/explain this? I don't want to be taken for a ride.

Cheers
Galsmate
(This post was last modified: 26-06-2017 03:59am by Galsmate.)
26-06-2017 03:55am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Andy131

RE: 2 batteries?

The Evoque definitely has two batteries, one well up to the job of stating the job, the other looks like one for a burglar alarm.

Ok the first might be expensive, but the second shouldn't be.
Why have both failed? they do very different duty. Alternator fault?
26-06-2017 08:02am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

One is the normal battery and the other is for the Stop/Start system - if the charge in the stop/start falls then you get a message to run the engine as soon as possible to charge it as it doesn't take charge from the "normal" battery

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
26-06-2017 05:56pm
Galsmate

Ok it's starting to make sense re the need for 2 batteries. Thanks! I ended up calling LR Aus to ask about it too. The service centre where I am is not that great... But it's the only one. They are looking into why they wont do the recall work too.

The battery/s have not been changed since new ... 3yrs AND 3 months ago... a convenient time to die I would say....3 months out of warranty. Apparently in Darwin batteries don't last too long... but though I should get at least 4 years from it?
The prices are pretty extortionate too.
It's a shame the stop start battery won't charge from the standard battery... that would make sense and prevent the need for having to replace both.
I was told one is low and the other dead...but the car starts and runs fine. Obviously restricting non essential functions (tailgate). So unsure if the fact one is completely dead could be true.
Anyway thanks heaps for the info!!

2014 RR Evoque TD4
9 spd auto
(This post was last modified: 27-06-2017 12:35am by Galsmate.)
27-06-2017 12:27am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Do you know if your main car battery has been disconnected for any length of time? If so then it may be that the Battery Managament System (aka BMS) module needs to be re-enabled, this often happens after the battery has been disconnected. Also check in your owner's manual but I think it may be so hot in Darwin that the load on the main battery from the climate control is out of the operating conditions - the stop start will only work between +5c and +25c IIRC and that may be why your stop/start battery is not charging as BMS is sending all the charge to your main battery.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
27-06-2017 07:59am