Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
2.2 sd4 engines
sasdiscos

2.2 sd4 engines

The evoque has a ford 2.2 mondeo engine in it, question is, why did landrover not use the 200 bhp that ford can push out in the mondeo and instead take it back to the 187 that it is?

With a tune, the mondeo engine can come very close to the petrol for performance and the torque figures are massive.

I would have liked to have seen more power options available in the car as the engines not very refined for a rr.

What are others views? Im keen to find out the general feel.

Steve
29-07-2016 04:27pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PhilSkill

RE: 2.2 sd4 engines

Firstly I guess you are talking about the Pre 2016 models.

Loads of discussion on here wanting a V6, 300hp etc etc...

Likely the modifications Ford made for their own range to boost to 200hp were not given to JLR as they were no longer a part of the Ford Group, or JLR were concerned for the drivetrain durability for AWD. But given the mods to acheive 200hp were an improved Turbo charger you could consider re-mapping to 200-220hp easily with this cylinder block.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
29-07-2016 04:41pm
sasdiscos

Phil,
So ford used a different turbo? The drive train should handle the 240 bhp as the petrol pushes out that, not sure about torque tho.

Mine has the dynamic plus pack, sports recaros perforated leather etc, they stick a magna ride system on yet there's nothing sporty about it, and to my understanding, the petrol was only available in an auto? Then the manual box is way slower.

Steve
30-07-2016 07:19am
druand

(30-07-2016 07:19am)sasdiscos Wrote:  Phil,
So ford used a different turbo? The drive train should handle the 240 bhp as the petrol pushes out that, not sure about torque tho.

Mine has the dynamic plus pack, sports recaros perforated leather etc, they stick a magna ride system on yet there's nothing sporty about it, and to my understanding, the petrol was only available in an auto? Then the manual box is way slower.

Steve
All SD 190 Auto (2011 Facelift onwards) have transient overboost, this increases gives increased turbo boost and bhp for short period when accelerating and when kick down comes in. Back to normal 187 when not required.
02-08-2016 11:04pm
Clip

I'm guessing it's to do with fuel economy. My SD is ridiculously economical and I would gladly give away some ecomomy for more performance. But seems people want that level of economy regardless of what the drive. I'm guessing the Mondeo gets the same economy with the more tuned engine but lighter and lower body etc etc
03-08-2016 12:41pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

In the days of BMW ownership of Land Rover it was the same. The 2001 FFRR L322 was launched with what many saw as a lovely BMW 3.0ltr straight 6............ It was awful, raptly and whistled like a songbird when the turbo waste gate opened on decelerating! Nothing like the "same" engine used in BM's saloon cars or the X5. Mind you the BMW engine was a huge improvement over the VM diesel that RR Classic and the GM diesel that early P38A's had............. They were almost converted tractor engines!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
03-08-2016 05:17pm
sasdiscos

I know the land rover variant had over boost but didn't know it was only on the autos. Thats even worse. Mines a manual.

The td5 was a great engine, sounded good, they should have squeezed more power from that.

If you go out to buy many other cars there are many engine options, take audi for one, 4 engine options on the a5 alone, then there are sub categories of said engines. Giving a total of 18 different options. just for that one model.

Land rover were lasy and used a transit engine, and then when they did make there own its still a rattly 4 cyl 2.0 diesel. Just seems a shame. I do like the evoque but i am missing the bigger engine now I've settled into it.

Steve
03-08-2016 05:49pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

The problem is that after the TD5 LR didn't get to make any more engines of its own design as it was owned by companies that had their own to sell to LR. Land Rover also could only buy what BMW/Ford was offering to sell it and they kept the best engines to go into their competitors to LR's cars, wouldn't you in the same position? Now LR is designing and building it's own engines in house then there may be more scope to widen the tune choices, but up to the day when they build all their own and can rob the Jaguar stores too then they have to buy the crap that Ford contracted them to at the time of sale of LR to Tata. Already the Ingenium engine is available in a host of tunes for different Land Rover and Jaguar cars and it is rumored that RRS2 will get a 2WD 4 cylinder Ingenium with manual gears for 2017MY and just to haul around the not inconsiderable weight of the RRS (even after loosing 500kgs in the slim down from RRS1 to RRS2) it will need to have more that 180bhp to save the car from being slower than a snail! There are a lot of people waiting in the UK for the V6S/C petrol engine to become available in RRS2 here (it is already sold in many other markets but not the UK) in view of the tax hikes likely on new Diesel engines cars next year

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
03-08-2016 07:51pm
PhilSkill

The variant of engine in the Evoque is not the same as the variant in the Transit, the Transit has the Duratorq ZSD variant with chain driven camshafts at 150PS, Evoque has the PSA/DW, The Evoque engine was the same as Mondeo/Focus, Peugeot, Citroen, Volvo consumer cars and only LR get the 190PS and 430NM overshoot variant. Also the Manual has exactly the same engine as the Auto with transient overboost and variable geometry turbo. Only the Mondeo gets the newest turbo with 200PS and 450NM overboost .

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
(This post was last modified: 04-08-2016 12:14am by PhilSkill.)
04-08-2016 12:09am
Straydox

Back when I had an Evoque 2.2 SD4 I did some research into the origins of the engine and its lineage could be traced back to the early 70s and the Ford 'York' diesel that 1st appeared in the long defunct A series commercial vehicle (as a bit larger than a Transit)...

Delivered 15th May 2012, rejected and returned 4th Feb 2013 - SD4 5 door Prestige manual with a bucket full of rattles Mauritius Blue. Crazy Audi MY2020 RSQ3
14-08-2016 11:36am