Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12V Power Issue
IvorRedOne

12V Power Issue

Guys, I have two dashcams fitted to my car. One at the front and one at the rear. Both use the 12v power output. Is there anyway that these two power points can remain live at all times? If I park the car up and don't use it for several days then the dashcams clock resets to 2015. It appears that these dashcams require a constant 12v flow and it also appears that the Evoque does not provide a live feed and automatically shuts off after a few minutes.
Can anyone advise on a way around this?
Thanks
19-08-2016 11:38am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
sasdiscos

RE: 12V Power Issue

7 days with 2 dash cams on might drain the battery.

Steve
19-08-2016 12:15pm
IvorRedOne

Even if the dashcams are turned off but trickle charge to keep the time would drain the battery?
19-08-2016 12:54pm
sasdiscos

If they were turned off then maybe not. It doesn't actually take that much to drain a battery. If you look at the consumption of the item and the output of the car battery, you can work it out. I think it's any thing over 0.05 Amps will drain a battery quite fast.

I know discoverys and range rovers eat battery's when not used much. I used to have to keep mine on an optimate.

The evoque could be different as it doesn't have to wake up every so often to calibrate the air suspension.

The best way is to try it and see if it drains the battery.

Steve
19-08-2016 01:13pm
IvorRedOne

Thanks Steve. I will get my Electrician mate to take a look and see how much these cams drain when in use and switched off. I believe the 12v system shuts down completely after a couple of minutes of the car being locked so may have to bypass this if the cams usage is negligible. Thanks
19-08-2016 01:43pm